Social Insurance Number – After you receive your SIN

5. After you receive your Social Insurance Number (SIN)


It is not necessary to inform us of a change of address unless you are waiting to receive a SIN confirmation letter.

Legally changing your name

By law, when the name of a person to whom a SIN has been assigned changes due to marriage or other circumstances, the person must apply to update their SIN record under the new name.

Once your SIN record has been updated, you will receive a confirmation of SIN letter with the new name. Your previous confirmation of SIN or SIN card is no longer valid and should be destroyed in a secure manner.

For more information on how to amend your SIN record, refer to applying for a SIN.

Following a death

When a person dies, there is a risk of someone committing fraud with their SIN. Informing the SIN program of the death reduces the possibility of anyone fraudulently using the SIN.

You are only required to inform the SIN program of a death if the death occurred in one of the territories or outside Canada.

Note: If the death occurred in a province, the notification of death is received electronically from the provincial vital statistics agency.

To report a death, you must provide proof of death, such as a Statement of Death from the funeral director or a copy of the Death Certificate issued by the vital statistics agency, and the SIN of the deceased individual. You may submit the documents in person at your nearest Service Canada Centre or mail them to the Social Insurance Registration office, Post Office Box 7000, Bathurst, New Brunswick, E2A 4T1.

When you provide us with this information, the SIN record will be annotated to indicate the person is deceased, but the SIN can still be used for estate purposes. If you cannot remember the SIN, the legal representative of the estate can make a request to obtain a confirmation of SIN of the deceased individual in person, at a Service Canada office or by mail under special circumstances. To confirm your eligibility to apply by mail, you must verify your postal code.

The legal representative of estate will require the following documentation:

  • the original death certificate;
  • the deceased person's original proof of identity documents (primary document and, if applicable, supporting document);
  • the legal representative of the estate's proof of representation; this document must be an original or certified copy; and
  • the legal representative of the estate’s SIN or original primary proof of identity document if he or she does not have a SIN.

Lost or Stolen SIN

If your confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card was lost or stolen Service Canada will not issue a new SIN. If you don't remember your SIN, you can refer to your income tax return where your SIN can be found or you can request a confirmation of your SIN. For more information on how to obtain a confirmation of your SIN, refer to: applying for a SIN

A new SIN may be issued only in situations where there is a proof that the SIN was used fraudulently.

Finding someone else’s SIN

If you find a confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card, return it immediately to a Service Canada Office or mail it to the Social Insurance Number Program at the following address:

Service Canada
Social Insurance Registration Office
PO Box 7000
Bathurst, New Brunswick E2A 4T1

Requesting your SIN information

Note: Applying for a new SIN, confirming an existing SIN, or requesting an amendment to a SIN record must be done in person at your nearest Service Canada office. You will need to bring original proof-of-identity documents. If everything is in order, your request will be completed during your visit. For more information or to find you nearest Service Canada office, visit our website at or call 1-800-622-6232.

If you live more than 100 km from the nearest Service Canada office, or have other extenuating circumstances that prevent you from visiting a Service Canada office, you may be eligible to send your request by mail. For more information on how to make a request by mail, please visit

The Privacy Act gives individuals living in Canada the right to access and correct personal information about them held by various federal government organizations. This means you can ask for information about your SIN record held in the Social Insurance Register.

To request copies of SIN application form(s) you have previously submitted, you must complete a Personal Information Request form (TB350-58).

What you should do if you want to request copies of your SIN application form(s) using the Personal Information Request form

  • You should complete the Personal Information Request form. Indicate on the form that you are requesting these copies under the Privacy Act, Bank ESDC PPU 390.
  • You also need to provide your original document(s).
  • Send your completed Personal information Request form and original document(s) to:
    Employment and Social Development Canada
    Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
    P.O. Box 12000
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    E3B 5G4

If you wish to request personal information pertaining to another individual under the Privacy Act and Regulations, you must either be:

  • a representative defined as “a guardian, curator, committee, executor administrator or other legal representative’’;
  • a lawyer, trustee or individual who has power of attorney for the individual; or
  • able to provide a consent form filled out by the individual.

Protecting your SIN

Read the information on protecting your SIN and what you should do if you suspect someone is using your SIN.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: