Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot: Who can apply

The Home Support Worker Pilot is open to new applications

You can still apply under the new 2022 cap for the Home Support Worker Pilot. In 2022, we’ll accept up to 2,750 applications for this pilot.

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot is closed to new applications

As of Monday, January 17, 2022, we received at least 2,750 applications under this pilot. This means

  • the pilot is closed to new applications for 2022
  • we’ll return any other applications we receive and refund the fees.

The pilot will reopen to new applications on January 1, 2023. You can also look into other options for caregivers in Canada.

If you already applied

You don’t need to contact us about your application. We’ll send you a notification letter as soon as possible to confirm we received your application. It may take longer than usual for you to get this letter due to the COVID-19 pandemic.


You may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot, if you:

Genuine and valid job offer

The job you’re offered must be:

The job you’re offered must be in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job that matches the pilot you apply for:

Home child care provider (NOC 4411)

Home support worker (NOC 4412)

National Occupational Classification 2021

On November 16, 2022, IRCC is switching to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

If you plan on submitting an application on or after November 16, 2022, your job offer must meet the NOC 2021 requirements.

  • Home child care provider – NOC 4411 will be replaced with NOC 44100
  • Home support worker – NOC 4412 will be replaced with NOC 44101

Ability to do the work

We use any past experience or training you have to decide if you’re able to do the work described in the NOC job description (lead statement).

Language levels

You need to take a language test to prove you meet the minimum language skills.

To measure your English or French skills, we use:

The minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all 4 language skills:


You must have a completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada. If you don’t have a Canadian education credential, you need to get your foreign education credential assessed to show that it’s equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year.

If you're currently working in Canada

If you’re working in Canada as a caregiver but you don’t meet the requirements for either pilot, you may be eligible to extend your work permit.

Your employer will have to complete some steps before you can apply to extend your work permit.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: