Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot: Who can apply

We’ve received at least 2,750 applications under the Home Child Care Provider pilot. Because of this

  • the pilot is closed to new applications for 2020
  • we’ll return any other applications we received and refund the fees

The pilot will reopen on January 1, 2021.

We’re not close to reaching the cap for the Home Support Worker Pilot. You can still apply under this pilot. We’ll update this page if and when we close that pilot to new applications for 2020.

For now, you don’t need to contact us about an application you submitted in 2020 under either pilot. We’re still in the process of opening applications now that our offices are open again.

If we accept your application into processing for 2020, we’ll send you a notification letter. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it may take longer than usual for you to get the letter.


You may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot, if you:

Genuine and valid job offer

To finish getting the work experience you need for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilot, you need a genuine and valid job offer. The job you’re offered must be:

The job you’re offered must be in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job that matches the pilot you apply for:

Home child care provider (NOC 4411)

Home support worker (NOC 4412)

Your qualifying work experience must be in 1 of these jobs. It cannot be a mix of both jobs. Make sure the job you’re offered matches the work experience you already have.

Ability to do the work

We use any past experience or training you have to decide if you’re able to do the work described in the NOC job description (lead statement).

Language levels

You need to take a language test to prove you meet the minimum language skills.

To measure your English or French skills, we use:

The minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all 4 language skills:


You must have a completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada. If you don’t have a Canadian education credential, you need to get your foreign education credential assessed to show that it’s equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year.

If you're currently working in Canada

If you’re working in Canada as a caregiver, but not as a home child care provider or home support worker, you can keep working in Canada as long as long as your work permit is still valid. However, your work experience won’t count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.

Find out what to do if you have no qualifying work experience.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: