Benefits and credits for northern residents

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is taking steps to help northern residents get the benefits and credits they’re eligible for. Here is some information to help you get started this tax season.

Northern residents deductions

You may qualify for the northern residents deductions if you live in one or more prescribed zones on a permanent basis, throughout  a period of at least six consecutive months beginning or ending in the tax year for which a tax return is being filed.

See if you qualify for the northern residents deductions.

Benefits and credits

You and, if applicable, your spouse or common law partner, need to do your taxes on time every year to continue getting your benefit payments, even if your income is tax exempt or you had no income at all. The CRA uses the information from your tax return to calculate your federal benefit and credit payments, and any related provincial or territorial payments. Be sure to check out all the CRA’s tax credits you might be able to claim on your tax return. It could save you money! 

In addition to the northern residents deductions, there are several other benefits and credits to help you and your family that are available to all Canadian residents. These payments include the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, and advance payments of the working income tax benefit.

Free tax help

If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, volunteers from the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program may be able to do your taxes for you, for free. The clinics are usually open from February to the end of April, with some open year-round.

Payment options

If you would like to make a payment to the CRA, you can:  




Page details

Date modified: