Remember, the deadline to file most returns is April 30

Most Canadian income tax and benefit returns for 2018 are due on April 30, 2019. If you have a balance owing, the total amount is also due by that date.

If you or your spouse or common-law partner are self-employed, you have until June 15, 2019, to file your return. Since June 15, 2019 is a Saturday, we will consider that you filed your return on time if we receive it, or it is postmarked, no later than June 17, 2019. However, if you have a balance owing, you must pay it by April 30, 2019.

Filing your return by the deadline helps you avoid interest and penalties on any balance owing. It also helps avoid interruptions to your benefit and credit payments, such as the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, and any related provincial or territorial payments.

Do you have a balance owing?

There are many ways you can make a payment to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):

Learn more about making a payment to the CRA here.

Can’t pay in full before the deadline?

Even if you can’t pay your balance owing right away, you must still file your return by the deadline to avoid a late-filing penalty.

If you can’t pay the full amount by the deadline, you may qualify for a payment arrangement with the CRA. This arrangement lets you make smaller payments over time until you’ve paid your entire debt, including interest. Before you make a payment arrangement, you may need to show that you have tried to pay your debt in full by borrowing money or reducing your expenses. To make a payment arrangement for you or your business, learn about paying by pre-authorized debit or contact an agent who can work with you to develop a payment plan if you are eligible. For more information, go to the CRA’s payment arrangements webpage or call 1-888-863-8657 where agents are available Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 7 am to 11 pm, Eastern time.

Need more information?

If you need more information at tax time, the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) is an automated telephone service that can help all day, every day. You can call TIPS at 1-800-267-6999.

If you need to speak with an agent, the CRA has extended evening and Saturday hours for individual tax questions from February 18 to April 30, 2019. Call 1-800-959-8281.

Go to for more tips on getting ready to file your 2018 return.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: