How to pay

On this page

Paying corporate tax

You are responsible for making sure that your payments are received by the CRA on or before the due date. Late payments, including cheques post dated after the due date, may be charged interest and penalties.

You can pay your instalments one at a time, as you would any other corporate tax amount, or set up automatic recurring payments after calculating your instalments for the year.

Schedule multiple instalment payments

You can set up pre-authorized debit (PAD) instalment payments in My Business Account or Represent a Client (if you are a level 3 representative):

  1. Complete the instalments calculator
  2. Select "Proceed to pay"
  3. Select "Schedule a series of payments"
  4. To make sure your recurring payments will meet your deadlines for quarterly or monthly instalments, the first payment must be scheduled at least 5 business days before the due date
  5. Enter your banking information so we can make the pre-authorized debit payments on the scheduled days

You may also be able to schedule recurring instalment payments:

Make a single payment

There are several options for paying corporate tax instalments individually or for your balance at the end of the year.

Refer to: Payment methods for the type of payment you are making

Prepaying reassessments (advanced deposits)

If you anticipate a reassessment to a previous tax year, you may want or need to make a payment before the reassessment is completed (advance deposit) to reduce interest charges.

Refer to: Prepaying reassessments (advanced deposits)

Remittance vouchers if you pay in person or by mail

If you are making a payment in person, such as at a bank or Canada Post or by mail, you will need a remittance voucher.

Refer to: Get a remittance or payment voucher

Financial institutions will not accept photocopied remittance vouchers.

If you make a payment with a cheque that your financial institution does not honour, including a payment on which you put a stop payment, we will charge you an administrative fee.

Common personalized remittance vouchers you may need

There are four common personalized remittance vouchers that we may send with your statements or notices:

If you are making a payment under Part XII.3 of the Income Tax Act (tax on investment income of life insurers), use Form T901 – Remittance Voucher.

These forms are available only in paper format.

Refer to: Get a remittance or payment voucher

Form RC158, Remittance Voucher – Payment on Filing

Use Form RC158 to send a payment along with a return. Form RC158 will show the tax year-end.

You have to enter the amount you are paying in the "Amount paid" box.

Form RC159, Remittance Voucher – Amount Owing

Use Form RC159 to make payments on an existing debt or to make an advance deposit for an anticipated reassessment.

When using this payment voucher to make an advance deposit, clearly indicate that it is an advance deposit and include the tax year-end for which the advance deposit is intended.

If you are making an advance deposit for multiple tax years, include a list of the individual tax years for which you are expecting a reassessment and the amount to be held for each year.

Form RC159 can also be used to pay tax under Parts IV, IV.1, and XIV of the Income Tax Act.

Do not use this form for current instalment payments.

Form RC160, Remittance Voucher – Interim Payments

Use Form RC160 only to make interim payments for a tax year-end for which we have not processed a return.

If you are a new corporation making its first payment or if you need to start making instalment payments, you can make an interim payment electronically, or you can order Form RC160, Remittance Voucher – Interim Payments.

Form RC160 will show the remittance period-end, that is, your monthly or quarterly instalment payment due date, not the tax year-end.

If you are making one payment for taxes under different parts of the Income Tax Act, tell us how to allocate each amount to make sure that we credit your accounts correctly.

Form RC177, Remittance Voucher – Balance Due

Use Form RC177 to make a payment:

  • To replace a previous remittance that may have been returned by a financial institution
  • If the final payment due date for the return is before the filing due date of the return

You may have to enter the remittance period-end.

Confirm or transfer a payment you made

You can confirm that the CRA received your payment and see any balances you owe online in My Business account.

Refer to: Confirm a payment

You can transfer balances between your corporation's accounts online in My Business account.

Refer to: Making adjustments to your account balances

Page details

Date modified: