Business Registration Online – Eligibility

From: Canada Revenue Agency

2. Eligibility

You can use Business Registration Online (BRO) if you are one of the following:

  • a business owner
  • a third party requester
  • a representative with a RepID or a GroupID
  • an individual that employs a caregiver, a babysitter or a domestic worker

For more information, go to Representative authorization and Employing a caregiver, babysitter, or domestic worker.

Conditions you need to meet

You can use BRO if you have all of the following:

  • valid social insurance number (SIN)
  • income tax return filed with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

If you do not have a SIN, go to Social Insurance Number – Overview.

If you have a SIN that starts with a 9, you will not be able to use BRO. If you would like to register for a GST/HST account and have a SIN that starts with a 9, please contact the Non-resident tax services office (TSO) that is closest to where you conduct your business: Nova Scotia TSO, London-Windsor TSO or Fraser Valley TSO.

To determine if you have to file a tax return and learn how to get it done, go to Get ready to do your taxes.

Restrictions you need to know

You cannot use BRO if you have any of the following:

  • invalid SIN
  • SIN that starts with a 9
  • income tax return was never filed with the CRA
  • GST/HST program account to register for:
    • a business located in Quebec
    • a non-resident business
  • bare trust to register

You cannot use BRO to register a corporation income tax account for a business that was incorporated:

  • federally with Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
  • provincially in:
    • Alberta
    • British Columbia
    • Manitoba
    • New Brunswick
    • Nova Scotia
    • Ontario
    • Saskatchewan
    • Prince Edward Island

Other ways to register if you cannot use BRO

For more information on other methods for registering, go to How to register for a business number or Canada Revenue Agency program accounts.

For more information on other methods for registering in the province where your business operates, go to Canada Revenue Agency registration and provincial or other federal programs.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: