Uncashed cheques from the Canada Revenue Agency

There are many reasons Canadians may have an uncashed cheque from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For example, someone may have moved and not updated their address, or the cheque may have been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

Individuals and their representatives can now view their uncashed cheques in My Account and, if necessary, request a duplicate payment.

CRA cheques never expire or become stale-dated. You can cash your CRA cheque at any financial institution in Canada. There is no charge to cash your CRA cheque.

Never miss another payment

Use My Account to see if you have uncashed cheques

To see if you have an uncashed CRA cheque:

Instructions to fill out form 535

Form 535 is available in My Account on the “uncashed cheques” page.

Print the form and sign it in the section that asks for “payee signature.” Finally, have another person sign it as a witness.

Please note, you cannot have a family member witness your signature.

Under the signatures, you must print your name and address, as well as the name and address of your witness.

If this information is not filled out correctly, the form will be returned to you.

To avoid delays in processing, it is important that you send only one form for each uncashed cheque.

Find out how long it should take us to process your request for a duplicate payment using the check CRA processing times tool.


If you are registered for direct deposit, your payment will be deposited into your account. If you are not registered for direct deposit, a cheque will be mailed to the address on file.

If you owe an amount to the CRA, part or all of your payment may be applied to your debt. Any remaining amount will be issued to you as a new payment.

Lost, stolen, or destroyed cheques

If your CRA cheque is lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can ask for a duplicate payment by:

Cashing original cheques

Government cheques never expire or stale-date, so you can cash any cheques you have. If you are having issues cashing an old CRA cheque, mail the cheque to the Imaging and Receiver General Operations Directorate and ask to have the payment reissued with a current date.

Imaging and Receiver General Operations Directorate
Returned Cheques
PO Box 2000
Matane  QC G4W 4N5

Cheques issued to a deceased individual

If you have a CRA cheque that was issued to a deceased individual, give the cheque to the person managing their tax affairs, or return the cheque to the Imaging and Receiver General Operations Directorate at the address given above.

If you are managing the tax affairs of a deceased person, deposit the cheque into the estate account and complete their final tax return.

Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: