Authorize a representative: Overview
New process for confirming a representative
We've introduced a new way to authorize a representative, which will help you protect your tax information using My Account or My Business Account. To learn more about the new process, go to New: Confirm a representative using My Account or My Business Account.
All electronic authorization requests by representatives for individuals and business clients will not be activated until the representative has been verified. Clients may be contacted by the CRA to verify the representative's authorization request.
What your representative can do
When you authorize a representative, they have access to your tax information on the accounts you choose. They can then help you manage your tax information with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
With authorization, your representative could do one or more of the following:
- access your personal tax information, tax assessment or reassessment
- get information about your business tax accounts
- update some of your business number and program account information
- access your non-resident tax account information
- update some of your non-resident tax account information
- access trust account information
- update trust account information
- verify that they are authorized on your account by referring to their Client List in Represent a Client to verify your name and their authorizations levels (this does not apply to non-resident accounts or trust accounts)
Your representative's authorization stays in effect until you or your representative cancel it or it reaches the expiry date you choose. Your representative's authorization will no longer automatically expire when we are notified of your death.
Note: There are exceptions. We cancel the authorization for some legal representatives on your account when we become aware of your death.
For information on how to cancel authorization, go to Cancel authorization for a representative.
What you can do
In My Account, you can:
- once your representative has submitted an authorization request electronically, select the pending request to confirm or deny access to your personal income tax account
- select "Manage my Representatives" to view all current representatives authorized on your personal income tax account
- select "View Online Transactions" to monitor the activities of your representatives on your personal income tax account
- add or delete representatives from your personal income tax account
In My Business Account, you can:
- once your representative has submitted an authorization request electronically, select the pending request to confirm or deny access to your business account
- select "Representatives" to view all current representatives authorized on your business account
- select "Authorize a representative" to authorize a representative on your business account
- select "View transactions" to monitor the activities of your representative on your business account
- add or delete representatives from your business account
Who can be my representative
Your representative is a person, a group of people or a business that you authorize to deal with the CRA for you, such as:
- an accountant
- a bookkeeper
- your spouse or common-law partner
- another family member
- a friend
- a lawyer
- a customs broker
- an executor
- a power of attorney
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: