Authorizing a representative: Overview
When you authorize a representative they have access to your personal or business tax information or both. They can then help you manage your tax information with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
With authorization, your representative could do one or more of the following:
- access your personal tax information
- view your personal tax assessment or reassessment
- get information about your business tax accounts
- update some of your business number and program account information
Your representative's authorization stays in effect until you cancel it or it reaches the expiry date you choose.
For information on how to cancel authorization, go to Cancel authorization.
Who can be my representative
Your representative is a person or business that you authorize to deal with the CRA for you, such as:
- an accountant
- a bookkeeper
- your spouse or common-law partner
- another family member
- a friend
- a lawyer
- a customs broker
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: