Authorize a representative: Overview

New My Trust Account portal for representatives

The CRA has launched My Trust Account, a secure portal that lets legal and authorized representatives of trust accounts manage trust information online. You can securely access My Trust Account services through Represent a Client.

For more information, visit About My Trust Account.

Process for confirming a representative

In October 2022, we expanded the Confirm my Representative service, which helps individual taxpayers and business owners to protect their tax information using My Account or My Business Account, to include authorization requests received using certified tax software (EFILE) for business. To learn more about this service, go to Confirm my representative's authorization request.

All electronic authorization requests by representatives for individuals and business clients will not be activated until the representative has been verified. Clients may be contacted by the CRA to verify the representative's authorization request.

1. Overview

What your representative can do

When you authorize a representative, you are letting them represent you for your personal tax, business tax, non-resident tax, or trust tax matters.

With authorization, your representative could do one or more of the following:

Your representative's access to your tax information remains until you or they cancel the access or it expires (if an expiry date was included in the authorization request). Your representative's access will not expire when we are notified of your death, unless they were your legal representative.

For information on how to cancel authorization, go to Cancel authorization for a representative.

What you can do

In My Account, you can:

In My Business Account, you can:

Who can be my representative

Your representative is a person, a group of people or a business that you authorize to deal with the CRA for you, such as:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: