Repayment Assistance Plan – How it works

Please read our latest notices

How it works

If you are having difficulty or are unable to make your payments, you can apply to have the Government of Canada help you by paying towards your loan through these plans:

  • the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP)
  • the Repayment Assistance Plan for Borrowers with a Permanent Disability (RAP-PD)

Depending on your income, you may not be required to make payments that exceed your income by 20%, or any payment at all. You can apply for RAP anytime during repayment.

You can apply for RAP as soon as you start to repay your student loans. If you are eligible and accepted into RAP, the Government of Canada will pay the interest owing that your revised payment does not cover. After 60 months of RAP or 10 years after you finish school, whichever comes first, the governments will begin to cover both the principal and interest that exceeds your reduced monthly payments.

As long as you remain eligible for RAP the balance of your loan is gradually paid off and repayment obligations will not exceed 15 years (or 10 years for persons with permanent disabilities) after leaving school.

After 6 months

Re-enrolment is not automatic and you must re-apply every 6 months.

If you go back to school

Once the Governments have contributed to your principal payment, you cannot receive additional student loans or grants until your existing loans are paid in full. However, you can still get interest-free status for your existing student loans if you return to school.

Once you have received a RAP-PD benefit and 5 years have passed since you have left school, you may not be eligible to receive further provincial loans and grants from some provinces until your loan from that jurisdiction is paid in full. Please contact your province for more information. This does not apply to the federal part of your loan.

Contact us to discuss your options

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: