Guaranteed Income Supplement – How much could you receive
3. How much could you receive
The amount of the GIS you receive depends on your marital status and your previous year's income (or in the case of a couple, your combined income).
Consult the table of Old Age Security pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement amounts for current benefit rates.
Couples who are forced to live apart for reasons beyond their control (such as a requirement for long-term care for one or both of you) may be eligible to receive higher GIS or Allowance benefits based on their individual income.
To be eligible, you must advise Service Canada in writing by submitting the Statement – Spouses or Common-law Partners Living apart for Reasons Beyond their Control (SC ISP-3040) explaining your living situation, and indicating the date that you and your spouse or common-law partner were first forced to live apart.
Sources of income and deductions
Use the information slips issued to you for income tax purposes, as well as your federal Income Tax and Benefit Return, to report the following income and deductions:
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) benefits
- other pension income, such as private pensions, superannuation and foreign pension income
- Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs) that you cashed during the year
- Employment Insurance benefits
- interest and other investment income
- capital gains and taxable Canadian dividends
- net income from any rental properties
- net employment income minus the following deductions:
- your CPP or QPP contributions, your Employment Insurance premiums, and the $3,500 earnings exemption
- net self-employment income minus the following deductions:
- your CPP or QPP contributions on self-employment, and your Employment Insurance premiums
- other income from sources such as workers’ compensation payments and alimony; and
- other deductions, such as union dues, RRSP deduction, moving expenses and other employment expenses
You will find instructions on how to report your income and deductions on the Instruction Sheet for the Guaranteed Income Supplement or Statement of Income for the Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor that is available on the Application for the Guaranteed Income Supplement or Statement of Income for Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor form.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: