The relocation process - Preparing to dispose of origin residence
What are your intentions at origin?
What you choose to do with your current home will dictate the steps you need to take. Follow these steps within 2-3 weeks after first registration.
Find the steps you need to follow for each option below.
Vacating a rental property/military housing
Reference: CFIRP - chapter 7
- Provide your landlord with a notice to vacate your residence
- If lease liability fees will be incurred, be sure to get a proper receipt for payment
- Upload to your Member Secure Website (MSW) under the Documents section found on the Dashboard
Selling a home
Reference: CFIRP - sections 8.1 and 8.2
- Select a lawyer, real estate agent and home appraiser
- A list of Third Party Service Providers (TPSP) and approved rates may be found on the BGRS web via your Secure Website (MSW)
- Update your MSW using the Suppliers link on your Dashboard
Don't forget to book your home appraisal.
Electing not to sell
Reference: CFIRP - article 8.2.14
- You have 15 working days after receipt of the appraisal report to make a decision to elect the real estate incentive. After this time, the benefit is forfeited.
Household goods and effects (HG&E) are in long-term storage
Reference: CFIRP - section 11.1
- Whether your HG&E are in storage due to enrolment and training or if you are returning from outside Canada, you will need to seek assistance from BGRS to arrange delivery once your home at the new place of duty is secured. Long-term storage shipments are indicated on the DND 4443 form.
Going unaccompanied or on imposed restrictions (IR)
Reference: CFIRP - section 11.2
- There are time limitations surrounding when you will have to move your family and/or effects. Approval from your Career Manager is required for IR.
Don't forget to request an advance of funds for legal fees, including the real estate commission, to provide to your lawyer for closing the sale of your property at origin.
See all relocation tips
The above information is related to the most frequently used benefits. Please refer to the CFIRP directive for a full list of entitlements and seek clarification from your BGRS agent.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: