Record Suspension: Step 1 - Get your Criminal Record


Read all the steps carefully before starting your application.

Please note that incomplete or missing information could lead to the application being returned to you and/or delay its processing. 

Step 1 – Get your Criminal Record

Get your fingerprints taken. Visit an accredited fingerprinting company or a police service that can submit your fingerprints electronically.

Ask your local police service if they offer this service or visit "Where do I get a criminal record check?" for more information.

Your electronic fingerprint submission must clearly state you are applying for a record suspension.

Wait to receive your criminal record (criminal convictions, conditional and absolute discharges) or a Certification of No Criminal Record from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Any documents provided by the RCMP must be included with your application.

If you have convictions outside of Canada, you MUST also submit information to the Parole Board of Canada on these convictions, along with your criminal Record.

When you receive your criminal record, check it to ensure all of your convictions are included. It is your responsibility to report all of your convictions to the Parole Board of Canada.

If ALL your convictions are included, go to STEP 2.

If any of your convictions are missing from your criminal record, you must get a Proof of Conviction for each one. To get this, contact the court that heard your case and/or the police service that arrested you to get this information.

The Proof of Conviction must include the:

  • Date and court where you were sentenced;
  • Offence that resulted in your conviction;
  • Sentence you received;
  • Arresting police force.

If the court and/or police service do not have a record of your convictions call the Parole Board of Canada's toll-free info line: 1-800-874-2652.

Page details

Date modified: