Help reduce the spread of COVID-19
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2020-06-25
Take steps to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19):
- follow the advice of your local public health authority
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth
- avoid close contact with people who are sick and practice physical distancing
- cough and sneeze into your sleeve and not your hands
- stay home as much as possible and if you need to leave the house practice physical distancing (approximately 2m)
Symptoms of COVID-19 can:
- take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to the virus
- be very mild or more serious
- vary from person to person
If you have symptoms
- Isolate at home to avoid spreading illness to others.
- Avoid visits with older adults, or those with medical conditions. They are at higher risk of developing serious illness.
- Call ahead before you visit a health care professional or call your local public health authority.
- If your symptoms get worse, contact your health care provider or public health authority right away, and follow their instructions.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: