The CRA knows that most taxpayers, given the proper tools and information, will voluntarily meet their tax obligations.
The following contains information that will help taxpayers understand how to protect themselves against tax schemes, and understand the consequences they might face.
For example, some taxpayers don't realize the financial and personal risks they are exposed to by paying cash for home renovations. And some taxpayers don't know that participating in certain tax shelter schemes to avoid paying taxes could mean not only a loss of their principal, the repayment of taxes owed, and penalties and interest - it could also lead to fines and imprisonment.
Information is the key! Select a link below to find out more.
- Tax Alerts
- Aggressive tax planning
- Underground economy
- About the underground economy
- What the Canada Revenue Agency is doing to fight the underground economy
- Do your customers ask you "Will you do the job for cash?" Paying “under the table” costs more than you think!
- Audits and investigations
- Complaints and disputes
- Debunking tax myths
- Learn about your taxes
A free online learning tool to help youth, individuals who have never done their taxes before and new residents learn about taxes. It is also a great tool for anyone who needs a refresher.
Sites of interest
- Provincial/territorial page (tax related sites)
- Canadian Consumer Information Gateway
- Finance Canada
- Service Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC )
- Reporting Economic Crime Online (RECOL)
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: