EFILE news and program updates
Important dates and changes for the upcoming filing season starting in February 2017
- The EFILE program will be open for transmissions on February 20, 2017, until January 19, 2018, for the electronic filing of your clients' 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 personal income tax and benefit return.
- EFILE transmission of 2014, 2015, and 2016 T1135 form – Foreign Income Verification Statement will be available until January 19, 2018.
- Corporation Internet Filing of T1135 form – Foreign Income Verification Statement will be available year-round, except for the occasional weekend when conversion activities are undertaken.
News and program updates
October 23, 2017
Electronic Services - 2018 Program
Thank you for using the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) electronic services!
Did you know that the collaborative efforts of EFILERs and the CRA accounted for 66% of T1 returns filed in Canada last year?
We are proud to work with you to continue to build on this success story, and are grateful for your hard work and dedication as we embark on another filing season.
To maintain your access for the coming year, including receiving emails from the CRA, you must renew your participation online. This will allow you to use the following electronic services:
- Express Notice of Assessment service (Express NOA)
- Corporation Internet Filing
- T1135 transmission web service
- T1013 transmission web service
- Client Data Enquiry (CDE)
- Auto-fill my return service (AFR)
- Online Mail
If you renew between October 23, 2017 and January 19, 2018
- Update your tax preparation software with your newly assigned password to continue transmitting T1013 and T1135 forms, filing T2 returns, transmitting 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 T1 returns and submitting T1 adjustments for the 2015 and 2016 tax years using the ReFILE service offered in select certified EFILE software, even though your EFILE Helpdesk may not have fully completed the suitability screening process.
- Any transactions during this time period will fail if your software has not been updated with your newly assigned password.
If you DO NOT renew your account between October 23, 2017 and January 19, 2018
- Continue to use your current password to transmit T1013 and T1135 forms, transmit T2 returns, and transmit 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 T1 returns and submitting T1 adjustments for the 2015 and 2016 tax years using the ReFILE service offered in select certified EFILE software until January 19, 2018 when we stop accepting T1 transmissions temporarily to convert our systems for the next filing season.
- To continue to transmit T1013 forms, transmit T1135 forms and file T2 returns after January 19, 2018, you will need to have renewed your EFILE account, passed suitability screening, and updated your tax preparation software with your newly assigned password.
As an electronic filer, you have to comply with the electronic filing procedures that are available at cra.gc.ca/efile. Please familiarize yourself with the information on these pages before using EFILE.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You have to complete a T183 form for each initial and amended T1 return you transmit.
As you know, the CRA conducts a suitability screening process each year before prospective and existing electronic filing applicants are permitted to electronically file income tax returns on behalf of their clients. This process may take up to 30 days. Please submit your application or renewal as early as possible to avoid unnecessary delays.
How to renew
- Make an online request at cra.gc.ca/efile.
- Click on the "EFILE Login" button located in the right side menu bar
- To log on, you will need your current EFILE number and password.
- Seconds after submitting your online renewal request, it will be validated and you will receive a confirmation page.
- The confirmation will include your new password and the EFILE Helpdesk responsible for your file.
- Once your renewal request has undergone the suitability screening process, you will receive an email or letter to advise you of the result.
You only need one EFILE number to file all your clients' income tax returns. Only tax preparation businesses that operate more than one location are required to have multiple EFILE numbers.
If you operate more than one location, remember to complete a separate renewal request for each EFILE number.
Lost your EFILE number or password?
- Please DO NOT file a new application using the "Register for EFILE" link.
- Simply contact your EFILE Helpdesk for assistance
- If you are also a discounter, you do not need to renew your discounter code.
- A revised application Form RC76 is required when information previously provided on Form RC75, Form RC76, or Form RC115 has changed.
- Consult the CRA EFILE webpages for answers to your most frequently asked questions.
- If the answer is not available on our webpages, call your EFILE Helpdesk.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: