ReFILE: Online T1 adjustments for EFILE service providers
On this page
ReFILE is a new CRA service that allows EFILE service providers to submit adjustments through their certified software. You can use ReFILE to submit adjustments to 2016 and 2015 income tax and benefit returns if your clients initially filed their tax return online. Please contact your software provider if you have questions about what functionality is available in your software package.
In the future, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will expand the service to include more years.
You and your client must complete Form T183, Information Return for Electronic Filing of an Individual’s Income Tax and Benefit Return for each ReFILE submission
What are the benefits of the ReFILE service?
- Quick – you will know much sooner how much tax your client may owe, compared to making adjustments on paper.
- Cost efficient – no postage costs and less paper to buy.
- Environmentally friendly – submissions are made online instead of on paper.
- Simple – use the EFILE software you are most familiar with.
You will receive immediate confirmation that your ReFILE submission was accepted or rejected. The confirmation number and the document control number from the software are the reference numbers for your ReFILE submission. Keep these two numbers in case you need to use them later.
Who can use ReFILE?
You can use the ReFILE service if the following conditions apply:
- You are an EFILE service provider in good standing with the CRA. This means you were accepted to use EFILE or your EFILE privileges have not been suspended or revoked. Learn more about EFILE.
- You use certified EFILE software with the ReFILE service.
- Your client initially filed their tax return online.
- You are not discounting on the ReFILE submission.
What does the ReFILE service exclude?
- is amending an election or wants to make an election (for example, Form T2057, Election on disposition of property by a taxpayer to a taxable Canadian corporation)
- is applying for child and family benefits
- is allocating the refund, if applicable, to other CRA accounts
- is applying for the disability tax credit
- has a reassessment in progress
- has an initial return that has not yet been assessed (you can view the Express Notice of Assessment (NOA), view the regular NOA on Represent a Client or have a paper NOA in hand in order to validate that a tax return has been assessed.)
- is subject to provincial or territorial income tax in more than one jurisdiction
- the initial return was arbitrarily filed by the CRA
You cannot use ReFILE to change page 1 of the taxpayer's T1 Income Tax and Benefit Return. Instead, individual taxpayers should use My Account to make changes to the following information:
- marital status
- direct deposit
- email address
The online system accepts only nine adjustments per tax year for each taxpayer, whether the taxpayer or you or the CRA initiates the adjustments. If you go over the limit, you will get an automated response saying the limit has been reached and explaining how to send a paper request. Make additional requests on paper, preferably using Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, and mail them to the CRA.
Contact your designated EFILE Helpdesk if you have any questions or concerns about the ReFILE service.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: