Electronic filing only by using Web Forms or Internet file transfer (XML)
You must file your Part XVIII and Part XIX information return electronically by using the CRA Internet file transfer (XML) or Web Forms applications. To find out when these applications are available, go to Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns).
Filing by Internet file transfer (XML)
Internet file transfer (XML) allows you to transmit original, amended or fixed returns with a maximum file size of 150 MB. All you need is a Web browser to connect to the Internet, and your software will create, print, and save your electronic information returns in XML format.
Multiple returns can be filed in one submission provided the total submission does not exceed the 150 MB restriction.
You should use a validating parser to check for the proper file format before submitting your file to the CRA. For more information, see Validating your file.
To get the CRA XML specifications and schema for Part XVIII and Part XIX information returns, go to Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns).
For information about filing by Internet file transfer, contact your software publisher or go to Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns). You will find samples of various scenarios at Examples of completed XML tags.
If your submission is larger than 150 MB, you can either compress your submission or divide it so that each submission is no more than 150 MB. If you divide your file, you must ensure that each document reference identifier of the reporting financial institution and sponsor (if applicable) records is unique.
Filing by Web Forms
Web Forms is ideal for smaller returns, up to 100 slips. Use the Web Forms application to:
- file original, additional, amended, cancelled, and fixed slips directly from the CRA website;
- create an electronic information return;
- validate data in real time, with prompts to correct errors before filing your slips;
- calculate the totals for the summary;
- save and import information;
- print the Part XVIII or Part XIX information return (slips and summary), and confirmation of its receipt; and
- send encrypted returns over the Internet.
In addition, for Part XVIII and Part XIX information returns:
- if you use the Web Forms application to file amended records, the corrected document reference identifier will be automatically populated with the document reference identifier of the record being amended (if it was filed with Web Forms). To use this tool, select the “Start a new original or amended return using your previously submitted .wbf file” option;
- many segments of the document reference identifier will be automatically populated with information already entered, leaving only the sequence number to be completed;
- you can amend the reporting financial institution without any slips; and
- for the Part XVIII information return only, you can amend the sponsor record without any slips.
For more information about this application, go to Web Forms. Note, however, that the order in which the information is requested for Part XVIII and Part XIX information returns may differ from other information returns. You may also notice other particularities that apply to Part XVIII and Part XIX information returns only.
Web access code
You will need a Web access code (WAC) to file your information returns over the Internet (for both the Internet file transfer (XML) and the Web Forms applications), unless you use these applications through My Business Account or Represent a Client. If you do not have a WAC or you have misplaced it, you can obtain one at Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns) by selecting “Need a Web access code?”
If you cannot retrieve your WAC online or would like to change it, call 1–800–959–5525.
Filing without a Web access code
If you use the Internet file transfer (XML) (up to 150 MB) or the Web Forms (up to 100 slips) applications through My Business Account or Represent a Client services, you can file your Part XVIII or Part XIX information return without a WAC by choosing the “File a return” service.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: