Filing a TFSA annual information return
You can only file a TFSA annual information return by Internet using one of the four options mentioned below. We do not accept returns filed on CDs, DVDs, USB keys, diskettes, or paper. You can file a TFSA annual information return by using:
- Internet file transfer (XML)
- My Business Account (for business owners)
- Represent a Client (for authorized representatives of TFSA issuers)
- Web Forms (up to 100 records)
If filing by Internet file transfer, the return must be in the mandatory Extensible Markup Language (XML) format and conform to our technical specifications (including the T619, Electronic Transmittal record). For more information, go to Find XML specifications to file electronically. Use a validating parser before submitting the XML file to ensure it conforms to our schema. It can significantly assist in reducing the number of individual records that may be rejected.
You will receive immediate confirmation that we received your TFSA annual information return regardless of which method you use.
Internet filing will be available January 9, 2023.
Before you (the TFSA issuer) use any of these options, you must have a valid TFSA RZ program account number.
On this page
RZ program account number
The RZ program account number consists of three parts:
- the business number (BN)
- a two-letter program identifier (RZ)
- a four-digit reference number
The entire account number has 15 characters. If you already have a BN, you only need to add the TFSA RZ program account number to your existing BN. You can obtain a TFSA RZ program account by completing Form RC1, Request for a business number and certain program accounts.
Registration for the RZ program account number cannot be filled out online.
If a TFSA annual information return is filed with an invalid RZ program account number or if the RZ program account number does not match the information in our database, it will be rejected.
Business number (BN)
If you do not have a BN, you can get one through Business Registration Online, or fill out Form RC1, Request for a Business Number and Certain Program Accounts, and submit it to us. You can submit a request by phone, or you can send the application by fax or mail. For a list of addresses and fax numbers where the form can be sent, or to register for a BN online, go to Business Number registration. To register by phone, call 1-800-959-5525.
For more information, go to Business number.
Web access code
To file your return over the Internet using the Electronic filing only by using Web Forms or Internet file transfer (XML) service, you will need a business number and its associated web access code (WAC), unless you are filing through My Business Account or Represent a Client. For more information about these services, see Filing without a web access code. If you have misplaced or do not have a WAC, go to Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns) to access our web access code online service.
If you cannot get your WAC online or would like to change it, call the e‑Services Helpdesk at 1-800-959-5525.
Internet file transfer allows you to transmit an original or amended TFSA annual information return with a maximum file size of 150 megabytes (MB). All you need is a Web browser to connect to the Internet, and your software will create, print, and save your electronic information return in XML format. For more information about this filing method, go to Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns).
If your file is more than 150 MB, you can still file using the Internet file transfer application by either:
- compressing the file
- separating the file into two or more files (the TFSA return summaries must reflect the same split)
Regardless of the method used, each submission cannot exceed 150 MB.
A compressed file can only contain one XML file per submission.
An RZ program account number is not needed to use the Internet file transfer service, but the TFSA return you transmit must contain the TFSA issuer’s RZ program account number. For example, if you are a third party service provider, you do not need your own RZ program account number.
When using Internet file transfer, the information is automatically encrypted before it is submitted to us.
Multiple TFSA returns can be filed in one submission using the Internet file transfer application provided that the total submission does not exceed the 150 MB restriction. Service providers must use their own BN and WAC — not the WAC of each TFSA issuer in the submission. For more information, go to E-services.
For ease of processing TFSA annual information returns, file other types of information slips under a separate transmission.
Our Web Forms application is free and secure. To use it, all you need is access to the Internet. With Web Forms you can fill out an information return easily, following the step-by-step instructions.
Web Forms lets you:
- file up to 100 TFSA records (original, additional, amended, or cancelled) from our website
- calculate all the totals for the summary
- create an electronic information return containing TFSA records, which can be saved and imported later
- print all records
- validate data in real time
After you submit your information return, you will receive a confirmation number that will be your proof that we received it.
To use the Web Forms application, you must have a web access code. If you do not have a web access code, you can easily get one online or by calling us. For more information, see Web access code.
To start using this application or to get more information about Web Forms, go to Filing Information Returns Electronically (T4/T5 and other types of returns).
Filing without a web access code
To register as a business owner, go to My Business Account and do the following:
- select “CRA Register” and create a CRA user ID and password. You can also select “Continue to Sign-In Partner” and use the same sign-in information you use for other online services, such as online banking
- to register, you will need to provide all the following information:
- your social insurance number (SIN)
- your date of birth
- your postal code or ZIP code
- an amount you entered on your income tax and benefit return (the line we ask for will vary; it could be from the current or the previous tax year)
- your business number (BN)
- you must enter a CRA security code to finalize the registration process (you can ask for the CRA security code by paper mail or email)
- return to My Business Account, to enter your CRA security code
To register as a representative, including employees of a business, go to Represent a Client, and do the following:
- select “CRA Register” and create a CRA user ID and password. You can also select “Continue to Sign-In Partner” and use the same sign-in information you use for other online services such as online banking
- to register, you will need to provide:
- your access code from your notice of assessment
- your postal code or ZIP code
- register as the business owner (using your BN) or as yourself and receive a representative identifier (RepID), or create a group of representatives and receive a group identifier (GroupID)
- get authorization to have online access to the tax-free saving account (TFSA) by doing one of the following:
- using the “Authorization request” service with Represent a Client
- giving your BN, RepID, or GroupID to businesses
- your employer so they can authorize you using the “Authorize or manage representatives” service in My Business Account
If the business authorizes you online in My Business Account, you will have immediate online access to the business accounts.
Once you are registered as the business owner, or registered and authorized as a representative, an employee, or a group of employees, you will be able to file or amend TFSA slips without a Web access code.
If there are rejected TFSA individual records, we will inform you by email.
What could cause a return or an individual record to be rejected
Any information that does not conform to our schema, including negative amounts, will cause the TFSA annual information return or the individual record to be rejected.
The dates must be provided in YYYY-MM-DD format. Inversions in the month and day may cause a reject if the month field is greater than 12.
If a field is left blank, it will cause a reject, except if the field indicates “if applicable,” such as the FMV at death if the holder is not deceased.
We strongly recommend that you use a validating parser before submitting the XML documents to ensure they conform to our schema.
For more information, see Retrieving rejected individual records or returns.
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: