March 2020 - Assistant Deputy Minister (Review Services) - Julie Charron
This page was proactively published to meet the requirements of the Access to Information Act. It is a historical record which was valid when published, but may now contain information which is out of date.
- Appointed Assistant Deputy Minister (Review Services) in August 2019 and joined Defence in 2017.
- Former Associate Assistant Deputy Minister (Finance), and Acting Assistant Deputy Minister (Finance)/Chief Financial Officer with National Defence, as well as various senior executive positions across government.
- Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Auditor.
Provides the Deputy Minister and Chief of Defence Staff with independent, objective and timely assurance services concerning:
- The integrity of the Department’s financial management and reporting processes;
- The effectiveness and adequacy of the Department’s risk management, internal controls, governance and accountability processes;
- The compliance with governmental legislation, regulations, policies, and program effectiveness; and,
- Performance management.
Serves as Chief Audit Executive, Chief Evaluation Executive, Senior Departmental Internal Disclosure Officer and Senior Ethics Officer for the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces.
- Vote 1: $19M
- Vote 5: $113K
- National Capital Region
- National Defence Headquarters (Carling)
- All Defence Team
- Office of the Auditor General
- Treasury Board Secretariat (Results sector)
- Office of the Public Sector Integrity Commissioner
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- International Society for Military Ethics
- Five-Eyes Defence Fraud and Anti-Corruption Network
Top issues for Assistant Deputy Minister (Review Services)
Internal Audit Reports
- The Office of the Minister of National Defence is briefed on all internal audits and evaluations prior to publishing.
- For awareness, the following reports have the potential for high media/political interest:
- Business Practices - Public Relations Operations - Fall 2019
- Management of Civilian Pay Administration - Winter 2020
- Suicide Prevention - Spring 2020
Office of the Auditor General Reports
- National Defence is regularly the subject of planned audits from the Office of the Auditor General.
- Review Services is the liaison between the Office of the Auditor General and the Department.
- There are two upcoming audits that involve the Department of National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces:
- Spring 2020: Supplying the Canadian Armed Forces - Focus on timeliness and cost in supplying selected materiel to Canadian Armed Forces members; and,
- Fall 2020: National Shipbuilding Strategy - A government wide review - Objective to be scoped during Fall 2019
Publication of Internal Audit and Evaluation Reports
- Treasury Board Secretariat policy requires approved audit and evaluation reports to be published publicly within 90/120 days of approval.
- As web publication has been suspended over the election period, there is a risk that these standards will be difficult to achieve until the backlog of reports is cleared after publication resumes.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: