March 2020 - Vice Chief of the Defence Staff – Lieutenant-General M. N. Rouleau, CMM, MSC, CD
This page was proactively published to meet the requirements of the Access to Information Act. It is a historical record which was valid when published, but may now contain information which is out of date.
- The VCDS has two mandates:
- Providing strategic direction across the Defence Team and monitoring DND/CAF progress in achieving key priorities.
- Commanding a diverse group of 18 organizations within Canada and abroad that support the entire DND/CAF including:
- Security, safety, cadets, Reserve Force, capability development, NATO, NORAD, defence liaison, establishment, conflict management, sexual misconduct, military police, National Capital Region administration.
Total Employees: ~14,241
- 3693 Regular Force, 890 outside Canada
- 200 Primary Reservists (full & part-time)
- 700 Employees of the Public Service
- 9668 Reserves Supporting Cadets
- $217,912,613 – Cadets & Junior Rangers
- $77,786,121 – Operations & Maintenance
- $47,947,441 – Civilian Salary Wage Envelope
- $19,698,796 – Primary Reserve Salary
- $45,348,700 – Carling Campus Project
- National Defence Headquarters (Pearkes & Carling), Uplands, Bases/Wings;
- 69 Countries: United States (Colorado Springs, Washington), United Kingdom (London), Belgium (Brussels), Germany (Niederheid), Italy (Naples), France, Australia, Korea, etc.
- Minister of National Defence Office
- Deputy Minister Office + Associate Deputy Ministers
- Chief of Defence Office and Strategic Joint Staff
- ADM(Policy), Judge Advocate General
- Commanders (CAF Formations & DND senior officials)
- Central Agencies
- Public Services and Procurement Canada, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Public Safety and Portfolio
- Transport Canada
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization, North American Aerospace Defence Command, United Nations
- Global Affairs Canada and Foreign Embassies in Ottawa
- Five Eyes Military Partners: Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States
Top issues for Vice Chief of the Defence Staff
Implement the Defence Services Program (DSP)
- To date, 66 Capital Projects made it through the various phases to close out, with 230 of the 333 files, or 69% of the total Defence Policy Capital Projects either in Implementation or Complete.
- DND will seek project authorities for more than 40 capital projects between now and end of Fiscal Year 2021/22.
- In the 5-year period from Fiscal Year 2017/18 to Fiscal Year 2021/22, it is estimated that Capital Spending will utilize approximately $16 Billion dollars on a cash basis from the Capital Investment Fund.
Force Mix and Structure Design
- Objective: To design a Canadian Armed Forces that is fit-for-purpose to conduct concurrent operations and is relevant.
- The Chief of Force Development and key stakeholders continue validation of Force Employment demand and supply analyses to understand risks and option space for structural changes (Phase 1).
- Analyze the impact of Phase 1 results on the supporting Force Generation and Institutional structures (Phase 2 & 3).
- Begin implementing structural changes to address gaps or risks.
- Established in 2015, Op HONOUR is the CAF’s mission to eliminate sexual misconduct in the Canadian military.
- Currently developing a Unified Policy.
- Office of the Auditor General's Management Action Plan sets several deliverables due 1 October 2019:
- Operation HONOUR Performance Measurement Framework;
- Canadian Armed Forces Operation HONOUR Campaign Plan;
- Duty to Report Working Group Recommendations.
- Closely monitoring the Heyder-Beattie settlement implementation as it relates to this file.
Complete Move to National Defence Headquarters (Carling)
- Complete move of 9,300 DND employees & military members by 30 March 2020.
- From Nov 2019 to March 2020 this will entail: Delivery of Building 2, Pavilion and Building 10 with an approximate capacity of 2,500 employees.
- Remain within the Project fit-up of final moves budget of $537 Million.
- Schedule is currently extremely tight with risk of minor slippage into April 2020.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: