March 2020 - Office of the Judge Advocate General - Commodore Geneviève Bernatchez, OMM, CD
This page was proactively published to meet the requirements of the Access to Information Act. It is a historical record which was valid when published, but may now contain information which is out of date.
- Commodore Bernatchez was appointed as the 15th Judge Advocate General (JAG) by the Governor-in-Council on June 27th, 2017 and is the first woman appointed to the role.
- She enrolled in the Naval Reserve in 1987, where she served as a naval warfare officer. In 1997, she transferred to the Regular Force and joined the Office of the JAG.
- She previously deployed with the Canadian Air Component during the Kosovo conflict in 1999.
- The JAG reports to and is responsible to the Minister in the performance of her duties and functions. The JAG acts as legal adviser to the Governor General, the
- Minister, the Department and the Canadian Forces in matters relating to military law, including military justice, operational and international law as well as administrative law.
- The JAG is responsible for the superintendence of the administration of military justice in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
Total CAF Members & DND Employees:
- National Capital Region
- Colorado Springs (USA), and
- Geilenkirchen (Germany).
- DND/Canadian Forces Legal Advisor
- All Defence Team. JAG is also a member of Armed Forces Council and Defence Management Committee.
- Department of Justice
- Privy Council Office
- Global Affairs Canada
- Communication Security Establishment
- Canadian Security and Intelligence Service
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- Canadian Red Cross
- JAGs of the Five Eyes Community.
Top issues for Judge Advocate General
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: