Apply for a Start-up Visa
We plan to expand our fingerprint and photo requirements
Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) each time you apply for permanent residence if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Find out about biometrics.
1. Get the application package
The application package includes a guide and all the forms you need to fill out to apply to the program. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.
- Fill out the forms on your computer. When you are done:
- Validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83KB) online. Click the “Validate” button on the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be outlined in red.
- Print the validated application form, including the barcode page(s). (This page will come up after you validate the form.)
- Sign and date the form where asked.
- Include all the pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s), with your application.
- Print the other forms, and sign and date where asked.
- Each of your answers must be complete and true.
- Fill out all the forms listed in the application package. Use the Document Checklist (PDF, 371.86KB) to make sure you do not miss anything.
All of your answers must be complete and true. If we find that you misrepresented yourself (gave us false information or left out important details):
- your application could be refused
- you could be found inadmissible and
- you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason.
You must include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results and fees that we ask for. If any are missing, your application is not complete. We will send it back to you without processing it.
2. Pay your application fees
You will have to pay:
a) The processing fee for you and your family members who will come to Canada
You must pay a separate fee for each family member who is included on your application and will be joining you in Canada. Check the fee list to see how much it will be.
If your application is complete, we’ll let you know and we’ll send your application to one of our offices for processing. Once we start processing your application, we cannot refund your processing fee. Make sure you are eligible before you apply.
b) The Right of Permanent Residence Fee
If we approve your application, you must pay this fee before you can become a permanent resident.
We will refund this fee if:
- you cancel your application
- we do not approve your application or
- you decide not to come to Canada.
If your spouse or common law partner will be joining you in Canada, you’ll need to pay a separate right of permanent residence fee before they can become a permanent resident.
You must include the processing fee with your application.
Find out how to pay your fees.
You may have to pay fees to third parties for:
3. Submit your application
Make sure you:
- answer all questions
- sign your application and all forms
- include your processing fee and
- include all the supporting documents
If you forget something, we will send your application back to you. You will have to fix any errors and resubmit it. Use the Document Checklist (PDF, 371.86KB) to make sure you do not forget anything.
You should also:
- validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83KB) online by clicking on the “Validate” button on the form
- print the barcode page(s)
- include all pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s) with your application
This will help make sure your application is complete and help you avoid delays.
Mail your complete application to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada:
Centralized Intake Office – Start Up Business Class
P.O. BOX 8700
Sydney, NS B1P 0G2
Do not send your application to any other processing centre or visa office.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: