Immigrate with a start-up visa: How to apply
You need to give your biometrics
In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) after you apply. Find out where biometrics fits in the application process.
How to apply
Get the application package
Fill out the application form
- Fill out the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83KB) on your computer
- Click the “Validate” button on the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be outlined in red
- Print the validated application form. Make sure to print all pages of the application form and the barcode page. The barcode page will come up after you validate the form. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
- Sign and date the form where asked
Complete the document checklist
- Gather all supporting documents and information in the order identified in the Document Checklist (PDF, 371.86KB)
- Check off each item
- Place all identification and supporting documents in a sealed envelope
- Print out the document checklist and sign it
- Include the document checklist as the cover page of your application
You must include all the forms, supporting documents, signatures, language test results and the proof of payment of the processing fees. If any are missing, your application will be incomplete. We’ll send it back to you without processing it.
All of your answers must be complete and true. If we find that you gave us false information or left out important details:
- your application could be refused
- you could be found inadmissible and
- you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason
Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you are in Canada, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.
Pay your application fees
In most cases, your fees will include:
- processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application
- the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
- third-party fees
You have to pay your fees online.
In most cases, you must pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise, you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.
After you pay the biometrics fee with a complete application, we’ll send you a letter confirming that you need to give your biometrics and where you can go. You must show this letter when you give your biometrics.
You must give your biometrics in person. Make sure to book an appointment if this service is offered. Find a collection point close to you.
Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:
The instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you and show you how to pay them.
Submit your application
To make sure you have a complete application, you must:
- answer all questions
- sign your application and all forms
- pay your processing fees and attach a copy of the receipt to your application
- include all the supporting documents
If you forget something, we’ll send your application back to you. You’ll have to fix any errors and resubmit it.
Mail your complete application to the address in the instruction guide.
Don’t send your application to any other processing centre or visa office.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: