Immigrate with a start-up visa: How to apply
You need to give your biometrics
You now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply for permanent residence if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
Find out who needs to give biometrics.
How to apply
Get the application package
Fill out the application form
- Fill out the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 553.83KB) on your computer
- Click the “Validate” button on the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be outlined in red
- Print the validated application form. Make sure to print all pages of the application form and the barcode page. The barcode page will come up after you validate the form. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
- Sign and date the form where asked
Complete the document checklist
- Gather all supporting documents and information in the order identified in the Document Checklist (PDF, 371.86KB)
- Check off each item
- Place all identification and supporting documents in a sealed envelope
- Print out the document checklist and sign it
- Include the document checklist as the cover page of your application
You must include all the forms, supporting documents, signatures, language test results and the proof of payment of the processing fees. If any are missing, your application will be incomplete. We’ll send it back to you without processing it.
All of your answers must be complete and true. If we find that you gave us false information or left out important details:
- your application could be refused
- you could be found inadmissible and
- you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason
Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you are in Canada, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.
Pay your application fees
When applying for permanent residence, you’ll have to pay these fees:
You must pay processing fees for yourself and each family member listed on your application who will be joining you in Canada. We will refuse your application if it doesn’t have an attached copy of the payment receipt.
Check the fees list to see how much they will be.
If your application is complete, we’ll let you know and we’ll send your application to one of our offices for processing. Once we start processing your application, we cannot refund your processing fees. Make sure you’re eligible before you apply.
Right of Permanent Residence Fee
If we approve your application, you must pay this fee before you can become a permanent resident.
We’ll refund this fee if:
- you cancel your application
- we don’t approve your application
- you decide not to come to Canada
If your spouse or common law partner will be joining you in Canada, you’ll need to pay a separate right of permanent residence fee before they can become a permanent resident.
You may have to pay fees to third parties for:
- your medical exam
- any police certificate you need
- your language testing and
- services at a Visa Application Centre, if you use one
Submit your application
To make sure you have a complete application, you must:
- answer all questions
- sign your application and all forms
- pay your processing fees and attach a copy of the receipt to your application
- include all the supporting documents
If you forget something, we’ll send your application back to you. You’ll have to fix any errors and resubmit it.
Mail your complete application to the address in the instruction guide.
Don’t send your application to any other processing centre or visa office.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: