Apply for permanent residence: After you apply through Express Entry
After you apply
We make sure that you have
- filled out your application for permanent residence completely and correctly
- paid your processing fee
- met all the requirements
- included all the documents
We’ll contact you through your online account to
- tell you to give your biometrics
- confirm that we have reviewed your application
- send you updates on the status of your application
- ask you for more documents, if necessary
- set up an interview, if necessary
- tell you what you need to do and what will happen next
Get your fingerprints and photo taken
If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for every permanent residence application you submit to us, even if you gave your biometrics in the past, and they’re still valid.
- You must pay the biometric fee when you submit your application. Otherwise, you may experience delays.
- Pay your biometric fee as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give your biometrics.
- You have 30 days from the date on the letter to give your biometrics.
Find out who needs to give biometrics, how to give them, and where to give them.
Temporary changes to biometrics
Book your biometric appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays.
If you can’t book an appointment by the deadline on your biometric instruction letter, there may be temporary measures in place to help you.
Verifying your information
If you are not truthful in your Express Entry profile or application for permanent residence, we may
- refuse your application
- find you inadmissible
- bar you from applying to come to Canada for any reason for 5 years
Decision on your application
We make a decision on your application based on
- whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the program
- whether you’re admissible to Canada, based on the results of your
- medical exam
- police certificates
- background checks
When we make a decision on your application, we’ll let you know through your account.
If your application is rejected or refused
To be considered in future rounds of invitations, you’ll have to
- fill out and submit a new Express Entry profile
- meet the eligibility criteria
- be accepted into the pool again
If your application is approved
Make sure to pay your right of permanent residence fee if you haven't already done so.
Help us improve our services
We’re looking for people to try out our products.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: