The ABCs of military postings
Getting on the road to sound financial, housing, and military life decisions for Canadian Armed Forces members and their families
A – Before you receive your posting instruction
updating your budget, tools to analyze the state of the real estate market, spousal and partner employment, children’s education services, Military Family Resource Centers, and access to medical care for your family.
B – You have received your posting instruction
geographical boundaries, moving benefits and services, tools and information on buying or selling your principal residence, and the Canadian Forces Housing Agency.
C – After you have completed your move
Identify emergency contacts and important documents, tax deductions, former residence, get to know your community.
Notes about this information
- The Treasury Board’s official policies prevail over any information provided on this page.
- This military postings information is based on Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) Chapter 208 and the Canadian Armed Forces Relocation Directive (CAFRD) (1 March 2022).
- Before making any decisions—including financial decisions—discuss your situation with your BGRS service provider for CAFRD moves or with your orderly room staff for CBI Chapter 208.
- BGRS does not have the authority for benefit eligibility for CAFRD moves. When in doubt, consult the relocation directive and appropriate relocation assistance resources.
- This information will help you and your spouse or partner make informed choices. It does not cover all options that may be available to you as a CAF member or a military family member.
- Consult the following page for information related to COVID-19.
Thank you for your feedback
Date modified : 2021-05-28
We are ready to help.
- Call us toll-free at 1-888-828-3626
- Submit a question or complaint through our secure online form
- Live chat with an agent 8 am to 5 pm ET Monday to Friday
- Book a phone call with an agent
- Email an agent for information or assistance
- Email for general office inquiries
- Email media relations
Office of the Ombudsman
100 Metcalfe Street 12th Floor
- Date modified: