Part A—Before you receive your posting instruction

Notes about this information

  • The Treasury Board’s policies take precedence over any information provided on this page. 
  • The information in this document is based on Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) Chapter 208 and the Canadian Armed Forces Relocation Directive (CAFRD) (1 March 2022). 
  • Before making any decisions—including financial decisions—discuss your situation with your BGRS service provider for CAFRD moves or with your orderly room staff for CBI Chapter 208. 
  • BGRS does not have the authority for benefit eligibility for CAFRD moves. When in doubt, consult the relocation directive and appropriate relocation assistance resources.
  • This information will help you and your spouse or partner make informed choices. It does not cover all options that may be available to you as a CAF member or a military family member. 
  • Financial considerations

    Updating your budget by completing the SISIP Financial's budget worksheet is an excellent way to get ready for your posting.

    Consider using your completed budget sheet as a starting point for discussing your financial situation with a financial advisor during a SISIP Financial counselling session. You can schedule your session by:

    If you are struggling financially due to the challenges of serving in the CAF, you or your family can apply for financial help through Support Our Troops. Learn more about financial resources on SISIP Financial.

    When completing your budget sheet, be sure to include gains or losses that are the results of allowances. Allowance rates may vary according to factors like your posting location, including the Canadian Forces Housing Differential (CFHD) as described in CBI 205.453. Check with your unit or base orderly room staff. Also review information on the Provisional Post Living Differential (PPLD) as described in CBI 205.4535, which was created to ease financial stress for CAF members affected by the transition to the new CFHD.

    Be aware of the impact of tax rates on your income when you move to another location. You can find more taxation information by consulting Tax implications guide on relocation benefits for military personnel.

    You and every eligible member of your family can apply for a CF One card for access to discounts, savings, rewards, and programs exclusive to the Defence community.

  • Moving

    Two distinct relocation policies govern CAF moves:

    To find out which directive applies to your situation, consult the CAFRD FAQ.

    Moving outside Canada (OUTCAN)

    If you are moving outside of Canada (OUTCAN), review Postings, assignments, and employment outside of Canada.

    CBI Chapter 208 Moves

    This directive covers untrained members (members not yet qualified) and members whose moves are prohibited. Learn more by reviewing the CBI Chapter 208 and by contacting your orderly room staff.

    CAFRD Moves

    The CAFRD describes Treasury Board’s policy on the relocation of dependents and Household Goods and Effects (HG&E) for CAF members. Learn more by contacting your base or wing relocation coordinators available only on the Defence Team Intranet, or your orderly room staff. If you do not have access to the Intranet, your orderly room staff can provide a list of relocation coordinators. Section 2.2 of the CAFRD describes the responsibilities of the various parties who must work cooperatively to relocate military personnel and their families. This includes relocation coordinators and CAF members.

    Note:  Service couples can split their HG&E to relocate independently when they are posted to two separate places of duty. Contact your BGRS service provider and review the CAFRD Chapter 10 – Service Couples for more information.

    Things you should consider before you move

    • Consult the CAFRD as soon as possible.
    • Prepare any questions before your first meeting with BGRS.
    • Review the Relocation Assistance Document (RAD).
    • Review the “Relocation Management” tab of the “Benefits - Generic” page available only on the Defence Team Intranet.
    • Start thinking about possible moving dates. Do you or your family have commitments or events that you need to consider before you relocate? Examples include an upcoming childbirth or adoption, a scheduled surgery, or a child’s graduation. You can discuss the possibility of a reporting date change with your chain of command, if necessary.
    • Make an inventory of your belongings. Are there things such as a pool table, for example, that you cannot or do not wish to move to your new home?
    • Think about the things like a children’s play structure that you may have to disassemble.
    • Ask your moving company if there are any restrictions around moving dangerous goods.


    Compare your current house or rental prices with those in your new place of duty. Review the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s (CMHC) Buying a home and the Canadian Real Estate Magazine for useful information.

    Keep in mind the following factors:

    • Some financial institutions will consider your family to be a single income family if your spouse or partner does not have proof of employment at the new place of duty.
    • Comparing house prices on theCanadian Real Estate Association's website may give you an indication of a potential financial gain or loss if you sell your home.
    • You may wish to use the Homebuying Calculators provided by the CMHC to determine your mortgage, affordability, and debt service costs.
    • Canadian Defence Community Banking (CDCB)offers exclusive mortgage rates for military members, including portable mortgages and the possibility of a mortgage break without penalty, if you are relocated under the CAF Relocation Directive.
    • Find out about province and territory specific information for condominium buyers.


    Keep in mind the following factors:

    • the availability of military housing at your new location; and
    • the cost of renting a home with its related rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords as well as rental practices across Canada.
  • Spousal/partner employment

    Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services (CFMWS) provides information on Employment for Military & Veteran Spouses.  To find information on employment resources specific to your community, go to CFMWS and ‘select your community’ at the top of the web page.

    Military Spousal/Partner Employment has information and resources. Check with provincial or territorial agencies about Professional Accreditations.

    Consult as well our information on Employment insurance available to military families.

  • Children’s education and well-being

    Review Education by Province to ensure a seamless school transition when you relocate your family.

    Notify your child’s school or daycare about your move as soon as possible and request a copy of their records. Make this request before starting your House Hunting Trip (HHT). It will be needed when you register your children at their future school. If your child has special needs, ask what services will be available at the destination. Need some assistance? The Family Information Line (FIL) is available to you 24/7.

  • Moving after separation or divorce

    As of 1 March 2021, if you are separated or divorced and have children you must tell your former spouse or partner if you are moving, even if you are moving without the children. Learn more at Information for families. The Department of Justice has prepared the following three forms:

    • Notice of Relocation Form,
    • Objection to Relocation Form, and
    • Notice of change in place of residence: Person with Contact.
  • Health care

    Review Health care for military families as well as Military families’ access to health care to learn about health care services available at your new location.

    Ask your current medical care providers for copies of your family’s medical, vaccination, and dental records, as well as any current prescriptions. Confirm how to transfer files to your new care providers.

  • Military Family Support

    Whatever your relationship and parental status, find information about your local MFRC by selecting your new community at the top of the webpage. These Centres help every member of the Defence community. They provide useful information about employment opportunities, schools, special needs, childcare, as well as a variety of social and community activities.

    Military Family Services (MFS) also supports parents of CAF members.

  • Resources

Video: Part A—Preparation

Transcript  American Sign Language (ASL)

Page details

Date modified: