C – After you have completed your move

COVID-19 and the Defence Team 

Consult the following page for information related to COVID-19.

Video: Part C - After you move

Transcript  American Sign Language (ASL)

Upon Arrival at Your Destination

Contact your Base Furniture and Effects Office as soon as you get to your destination.

You need to do this for two reasons. First, you will want to inform that Office you are available to receive your household goods and effects (HG and E) delivery. You should also request that the Base Traffic Office provide you with your HG and E report.

Your Relocation Claim

Talk to your BGRS service provider to find out how you make your claim using electronic fund transfers. For more information on this and other relocation service changes, review CANFORGEN 039/19.

Be aware that CANFORGEN messages are accessible only by way of the DIN intranet or the CAF App available on Apple and Android.

For information on taxable relocation benefits, consult the Canadian tax information and the Tax implications guide on relocation benefits for military personnel web pages.

Your Previous Posting House

If your house at your previous posting remains unsold, you may be eligible for Temporary Dual Residence Assistance (TDRA). As described in Article 8.2.07 of the CAFRD, your eligibility depends on the house being vacant and on its active promotion in the real estate market.

If you anticipate losing money when you sell your house, the Home Equity Assistance (HEA) benefit may reimburse up to 80 per cent or a maximum of $30,000 of your loss. This is subject to Canada Revenue Agency taxation regulations. Learn more by discussing this benefit with your service provider before selling your home and by reading Article 8.2.13 of the CAFRD.

Request for Director, Compensation and Benefits Administration (DCBA) Review

You may submit a “request for adjudication” to the DCBA through your local relocation coordinator if you find yourself in at least one of the following three circumstances:

  • You have made actual and reasonable expenses as a result of exceptional circumstances or demands that the CAFRD does not seem to cover.
  • You require DCBA authority to receive a CAFRD benefit.
  • You do not agree with the application or the interpretation of the CAFRD by the contracted relocation service provider.

Your adjudication request must meet the provisions described in CAFRD Section 1.3 – Request for DCBA review. In addition, before you make any submission to the DCBA you must demonstrate that you first requested reimbursement via the BGRS and that this request was denied.

Submit your request to the DCBA electronically through your relocation coordinator using the “adjudication request form”. You will find this form along with a relocation coordinator list, a recourse checklist, and other documents under the “Relocation Management” tab of the Chief of Military Personnel’s “Benefits – Generic” web page. This page is accessible only through the DIN intranet.

Complaint and Redress Mechanisms

If you still believe you have been treated unfairly after receiving a negative DCBA response to your request for adjudication, you have two complaint and redress mechanisms available to you.

  • First, you should raise your complaint with your chain of command to try and resolve it informally at the lowest level.
  • You can also file a grievance.

For more information, consult our “Complaint mechanisms and oversight” web page. Our office is there for you and your family.

Your Military Life and Important Documentation

Our Military Life Events - Important Documents web page provides a list of key documents that you should review regularly and update whenever your circumstances change. This includes changes that occur as the result of a new posting. For example:

  • Complete your change of address for all important documentation and identification, including health insurance cards for family members.
  • Provide a copy or share the link of the Guide to Working with Military Kids to adults who support your children so that they can gain a better understanding of the unique challenges military kids face. These adults may include camp leaders, coaches, health care providers, youth group organizers, recreation workers, church leaders, early childhood educators, social workers, program coordinators, and professional therapists.

Resources in Your New Community

Learn more about the resources available in your new community by contacting your local Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC). You can also get information, day or night via the Family Information Line (FIL). The FIL is available 24/7 at 1-800-866-4546 (North America), 00-800-771-17722 (international), 1-613-995-5234 (collect calls) or by e-mail at FIL@connexionFAC.ca.

Other Important Links

You will find the following links only by way of the DIN intranet:

Date modified : 2021-05-28

Please be advised that due to technical issues beyond our control, the online booking tool is currently unavailable.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Page details

Date modified: