Part B—You have received your posting instruction

Notes about this information

  • The Treasury Board’s policies take precedence over any information provided on this page. 
  • The information in this document is based on Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) Chapter 208 and the Canadian Armed Forces Relocation Directive (CAFRD) (1 March 2022). 
  • Before making any decisions—including financial decisions—discuss your situation with your BGRS service provider for CAFRD moves or with your orderly room staff for CBI Chapter 208. 
  • BGRS does not have the authority for benefit eligibility for CAFRD moves. When in doubt, consult the relocation directive and appropriate relocation assistance resources.
  • This information will help you and your spouse or partner make informed choices. It does not cover all options that may be available to you as a CAF member or a military family member. 

COVID-19 continues to affect our constituents.

Stay informed by visiting the Defence Team – COVID-19 website for the latest information pertinent to both public service employees and military Defence team members.

If you are a CAF member being posted, you and your family should consult the following pages for information related to postings and to COVID-19:

CANFORGENS are available on the Defence Team Intranet or by downloading the CAF mobile application.

Contact information for questions

  • Relocation policies

    Two distinct relocation policies govern military moves:

    To determine which directive applies to your situation, refer to the CAFRD Q&A Page.

    CBI Chapter 208 Moves

    CAF orderly rooms process unaccompanied-prohibited moves. Learn about these moves by referring to CBI Chapter 208 and by contacting your orderly room staff.

    CAFRD Moves

    Planning a CAFRD move

    Accompanied moves administered under the CAFRD require planning. Here are some key steps to consider:

    Step 1: Posting Instruction

    Your posting instruction will include important information about your new place of duty, change of strength (COS) date, and relocation benefits.

    Step 2: Authorization

    BGRS is the service provider that manages all accompanied-authorized moves. 

    The Director Relocation Business Management (DRBM) approves your eligibility for a move of dependents as well as Household Goods and Effects (HG&E). They will advise BGRS about your eligibility. This approval process can take up to five days after you receive your posting message. If you still cannot register in the BGRS system after one week, contact your local relocation coordinator. A list of CAFRD Coordinators can be found under “Relocation Management” of the "Benefits – Generic” page available only on the Defence Team Intranet. If you do not have access to the Intranet, your orderly room staff can provide you with a list of relocation coordinators.

    Step 3: Member registration

    Register with BGRS within 21 days of receiving your posting message. Refer to the BGRS guide entitled How to register in BGRS’ system!

    Complete Step 4 before you log out of the system.

    Step 4: Preliminary relocation assessment

    Once your BGRS member registration is complete, do the preliminary relocation assessment on the BGRS website. Once you complete this assessment, BGRS will send you a registration confirmation by e-mail within two business days. From then on, your BGRS agent will communicate directly with you.

    Step 5: Consult the CAF relocation website for more information

    As soon as possible, consult:

    Be prepared to do the following:

    • Note your questions before your first BGRS meeting, and take note of the answers provided.
    • Start thinking about possible moving dates. Do you or your family members have commitments or events that you need to consider before you relocate? Examples include an upcoming childbirth or adoption, a scheduled surgery, or a child’s graduation. You can discuss the possibility of a reporting date change with your chain of command, if necessary.
    • Make an inventory of your belongings. Are there things such as a pool table, for example, that you cannot or do not wish to move to your new home?
    • Consider items that you may have to disassemble yourself like a children’s play structure.
    • Ask about which dangerous goods a moving company can refuse to move.

    Review the RAD.

    Step 6: Schedule a planning session

    BGRS is not the authority for benefit eligibility. When in doubt, contact your local CAFRD Coordinators. A list of coordinators for each base and wing is available on the "Benefits – Generic” page under the “Relocation Management” tab. available nly on the Defence Team Intranet. Your base orderly room can also provide contact information.

    You can schedule a planning session 24/7. Your five-day scheduling priority status begins once you have registered with BGRS. If you miss this five-day window of opportunity, you will no longer be considered a priority.

    During your 30-minute planning session, BGRS will inform you about the relocation process, how to navigate the BGRS website, and answer your questions. Your BGRS service provider can also provide information sessions about topics such as your House Hunting Trip (HHT), transportation to your new location, and your claim finalization.

    Related links

    Learn about taxable benefits and their potential impact on your income taxes by visiting the Canada Revenue Agency website. In addition, review the RAD on Canadian tax information and the Taxable benefits list.

    Complete your Movement of HG&E form (DND 4443) and submit it to your local Base Traffic Furniture and Effects section. Your BGRS agent can help complete this form.

    Note: Service couples can split their HG&E to relocate independently when they are posted to two separate places of duty. Review the CAFRD Chapter 10 – Service Couples for more information.

    Once you have completed Step 6, you can take the next steps for your posting. This may include an HHT, selling your current principal residence, purchasing, or leasing a principal residence at your new posting, and planning your move.

  • Moving after separation or divorce

    As of 1 March 2021, if you are separated or divorced and have children you must tell your former spouse or partner if you are moving, even if you are moving without the children. Learn more at Information for families. The Department of Justice has prepared the following three forms:

    • Notice of Relocation Form,
    • Objection to Relocation Form, and
    • Notice of change in place of residence: Person with Contact.
  • Leaving your current principal residence

    If you are a tenant, review your lease to understand your responsibilities when you move from the property.

    If you are renting outside the base or wing, check your lease to find a lease-breaking penalty clause. Article 7.03 of the CAFRD deals with rent or lease liability.

    If you live in a military residential housing unit (RHU), review the "Moving-out" section of the Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA) Occupant Handbook.

    If you intend to live in an RHU, determine if military housing is available and apply as soon as possible. Be aware that the allocation of DND housing is based on a priority system.

    If you move into rental accommodation outside your new base or wing while waiting to be assigned a military RHU, remember that this rental accommodation will be considered your primary residence for your new posting. As such, you will move from the priority 1 waiting list to the priority 2 waiting list. Additionally, any subsequent move to a military housing unit will be at your expense.

    Selling or buying a home

    For information on selling, renting, or buying a home, review the RAD pages on Preparing to sellPreparing to rent, and Preparing to buy.

    If you decide to keep your current home

    Within 15 business days of receiving your appraisal, you must decide to keep or sell your home at your current location. If you keep your house, you may be eligible for a Real Estate Incentive (REI) of 80 per cent of the real estate commission or up to a maximum of $12,000. Remember that once you have made your decision, you cannot change your mind. For more information, review Article 8.2.03 of the CAFRD.

    Note: This incentive is not payable for moves under CAFRD Section 11.2 Unaccompanied Moves or under Chapter 14 Moves to Intended Place of Residence (IPR).

    If you decide to sell your home

    If you are selling your home, ask your BGRS agent about the benefits of obtaining an appraisal, the process, and key dates to consider. Learn about the costs and benefits of home appraisal by reading Article 8.2.04 of the CAFRD.

    Ask your current financial institution about how to avoid mortgage-breaking penalties and the possibility of waiving penalties based on your military posting. You should also review the RAD Understanding mortgage options. Note the following three common mortgage characteristics:

    • The Mortgage Early Repayment Penalty (MERP) may be reimbursable when certain conditions are met. For more information, refer to Article 8.2.12 of the CAFRD.
    • The Mortgage Default Insurance (MDI) (also called mortgage loan insurance, CMHC insurance, or CMHC fees) may be reimbursable if certain conditions are met. For more information, refer to Article 8.3.10 of the CAFRD.
    • Get information about the minimum qualifying rate or stress test for uninsured mortgages by consulting the Mortgage Qualifier Tool. This tool will help you to determine if you qualify for a home mortgage based on income and expenses.

    If you are having difficulties selling your home

    Discuss the possibility of an Imposed Restriction with your chain of command. This is a temporary measure which allows you to proceed to your new place of duty while your family stays in your current residence. Your chain of command must support your request, and your career manager is the approving authority. For more information on Imposed Restriction, consult page 18 of A Family Guide to the Military Experience.

    If you are having difficulties selling your home, you should note the following:

    • Article 8.2.05 of the CAFRD allows a member to use marketing incentives to attract potential buyers when certain conditions are met. Your realtor must recommend these incentives, and your BGRS agent must support them.
    • If your home remains unsold and is marketed actively while you are travelling to your new place of duty, you may be eligible for Temporary Dual Residence Assistance (TDRA). Review Article 8.2.07 of the CAFRD for more information.
    • If you anticipate losing money when you sell your home, the Home Equity Assistance (HEA) benefit may reimburse up to 80 per cent or a maximum of $30,000 of your loss. This is subject to Canada Revenue Agency taxation regulations. Discuss this benefit with your service provider before selling your home and review Article 8.2.13 of the CAFRD.
  • Planning your House Hunting Trip (HHT)/Destination Inspection Trip (DIT)

    If you are considering getting a residence at your new location, be aware of the difference between a DIT and an HHT. Confirm with your BGRS agent which applies to your situation. Review Chapter 4 of the CAFRD for more information. In addition, consult the RAD pages entitled Relocation to-do list and Planning your house hunting trip.

    When planning a DIT or HHT, you can now use alternative accommodation booking services such as Airbnb during your relocation. Certain conditions apply and, when applicable, reimbursement follows the rates established in the Accommodation and Car Rental Directory (ACRD). These rates reflect the number of hotel or motel rooms to which a military family is entitled. For more information, consult your BGRS relocation service provider and review CANFORGEN 047/19 - USE OF RIDE SHARING SERVICES AND ACCOMMODATION BOOKING PROGRAMS.

    CANFORGENS are available on the Defence Team Intranet or by downloading the CAF mobile application.

    Keep in mind the following:

    • If you consider a lease with an option to buy, you may not be eligible for certain purchase benefits under the CAFRD. Contact your BGRS service provider for more information before making any commitment.
    • Get to know the geographical boundaries of your new place of duty. If you consider living outside these boundaries, you must get the approval of the commander of your new unit. Do not make any commitments until you have received approval. The Director Compensation and Benefits Administration (DCBA) must also approve the relocation of dependents and HG&E under Article 2.6.03 of the CAFRD.
  • Once you know what your new address will be
    • Register for services such as daycares, schools, summer camps, family doctor, and specialists.
    • Share the Guide to Working with Military Kids with adults who support your children so that they can gain a better understanding of the unique challenges military kids face. This may include camp leaders, coaches, health care providers, youth group organizers, recreation workers, church leaders, early childhood educators, social workers, program coordinators, and professional therapists.
    • Find out about the resources available in your new community. Contact your local Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) or the Family Information Line (FIL) 24/7 at 1-800-866-4546 (North America), 00-800-771-17722 (international) or by e-mail at
    • Visit Canada Post for information on forwarding your mail to your new address.
    • Notify your utility companies such as water, electricity, gas, telephone, internet, and cable providers about your move.
    • Consult Chapter 9 of the CAFRD to learn about weight limitations and applicable storage options for your HG&E. Consult your BGRS service provider to complete all the necessary forms. In addition, review your moving company’s pre-move information booklet to estimate the cost of moving your HG&E. For more information, contact the Furniture and Effects section of your new base or wing.
  • Choosing the right accommodation or hotel while travelling to your posting

    While travelling to your new posting, choose accommodation listed in the ACRD published by Public Services and Procurement Canada. To avoid accommodation costs at your personal expense, be sure to do the following: 

    • Verify the city rate limits for your destination.
    • Confirm that the accommodation rate offered falls within the applicable limit.
    • Confirm that you will not be charged more for your accommodation than what is listed in the ACRD, even if this rate is less than the city rate.
    • If your accommodation refuses to offer a rate in accordance with the rates published in the ACRD, your CAFRD Coordinator must contact the Accommodation and Car Rental Contract Management Section by e-mail at

    You can now use ride-sharing and alternative accommodation booking services such as Uber and Airbnb during your relocation. This is permissible only in locations where these services are legal and regulated. Ride-sharing services are acceptable expenses when you use them as an alternative to other local public transportation means. For alternative accommodation bookings, reimbursement follows the rates established in the ACRD. These rates reflect the number of hotel or motel rooms to which your military family is entitled.

    For more information on using alternative accommodation booking services, consult your BGRS agent and review CANFORGEN 047/19 - USE OF RIDE SHARING SERVICES AND ACCOMMODATION BOOKING PROGRAMS.

    CANFORGENS are available on the Defence Team Intranet or by downloading the CAF mobile application.

    Important: Keep your original relocation expense receipts to finalize your claims. You must also keep these original receipts for seven years for verification purposes.

    Note that for moves within Canada and the continental United States, the Interim Lodging, Meals and Miscellaneous Expenses (ILM&M) policy covers up to 10 days of expenses you may incur while you wait for your new house to become available. Learn more by reviewing Chapter 5 of the CAFRD.

Video: Part B—Posting instruction

Transcript  American Sign Language (ASL)

Page details

Date modified: