Filing a complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission

CAF recourse and complaint mechanisms

We are also working on recourse and complaint mechanism information related to careers, compensation and benefits, discrimination, health and official languages.

Recourse for harassment, sexual misconduct, and discrimination

Current and former Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members who have experienced sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or any other form of discrimination based on sex or gender while performing their duties can choose to bring their complaint directly to the Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC)

The CHRC operates independently from the CAF and from government.  The Commission is responsible for representing the public interest and holding the Government of Canada to account on matters related to human rights. They will ensure complaints are handled in a fair, independent, trauma-informed, unbiased and confidential manner.

CAF members can either:

  1. file a complaint through the existing CAF grievance and harassment processes, or
  2. file directly with the CHRC.

Members who choose to go directly to the CHRC do not need to exhaust internal grievance and harassment processes first. The CHRC process applies to both new and existing complaints. 

Transferring an existing complaint to the CHRC is also possible.

If you witness what you believe is inappropriate behaviour, please consult Harassment and violence in the workplace—CAF members, Harassment and violence in the workplace— civilian employees and Sexual misconduct.

Page details

Date modified: