Compensation for ill and injured Reservists

If you are a Reservist who has suffered an injury, disease, or illness, you may be eligible for compensation.


You must report your injury, disease, or illness immediately. This is particularly important if your injury, disease, or illness is attributable to military service because it may affect your entitlement to future benefits. If an unreported injury, disease, or illness becomes disabling in the future, you may face problems proving that it happened during military service.

Review each option carefully to learn about the applicable timelines.

*Some directives and forms mentioned in this document are available only on the Defence Team Intranet. If you are unable to access the Intranet, contact your supervisor or your orderly room staff for assistance.

Currently, you may be eligible for different benefits based on your employment situation and whether your injury, disease, or illness is attributable to military service.

Attribution to military service is defined in Compensation and Benefits Instructions 210.72 - Reserve Force - Compensation During A Period Of Injury, Disease Or Illness:

Attributable to military service

“means the injury, disease, or illness must have arisen out of or be directly connected with military service. This meaning shall also be used when considering the aggravation of an existing injury, disease or illness.”

Similarly, Queen’s Regulations and Orders Chapter 34, Medical Services, and Chapter 35, Dental Services uses the term “attributable to the performance of duty.” 

The compensation or benefits you may receive as a result of being unable to work will be based on one of the following four scenarios:

  • If you suffer an injury, disease, or illness, regardless of whether it is attributable to military service, and you are on Class C Special Duty Service which has not yet expired, you may receive an Extension of your Class C service under Compensation and Benefits Instructions 210.72.
  • If your injury, disease, or illness is attributable to military service and most of your income comes from working for the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), you may want to receive Reserve Force Compensation.
  • If your injury, disease, or illness is attributable to military service and most of your income comes from civilian employment, you may want to pursue a claim through the Government Employees Compensation Act.
  • If your injury, disease, or illness is not attributable to military service, you may be entitled to certain benefits.

You may only receive compensation from one of the benefits for the same injury, disease, or illness. 

These guidelines are intended to help you navigate your situation. If you are unsure about how the policy applies to you, immediately contact your chain of command, your CAF Transition Centre, or your provincial or territorial workers’ compensation board for help. You can also ask your chain of command to assign a Designated Assistant to support you.

For more information, consult our Military Benefits Browser or the Veterans Affairs Canada Physical health and wellness webpage.

Contact our office if compelling reasons prevent you from pursuing available benefits. Examples of compelling reasons are time sensitivity, health, security, or financial concerns for you or your family. When compelling reasons exist, our office can ensure the appropriate parties are aware of your circumstances.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Page details

Date modified: