Careers at the CRA – 2. Before you apply

2. Before you apply

To apply for job opportunities with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you must have a candidate profile. Your profile has your basic personal information and results of CRA standardized tests, and it lets you manage your job applications.

You must be legally allowed to work in Canada. This includes any age restrictions imposed by provincial governments. For more information on age restrictions, see Am I old enough to work?

There will also be a security screening process during which the CRA will check, at a minimum, the following items:

  • Identification
  • References
  • Qualifications
  • Criminal records
  • Credit rating

In order to perform these tasks, you will be asked for consent and to have your fingerprints taken.

Requirements for students

  • You must be enrolled full-time in a provincially accredited educational institution (high school, college, cégep, or university).
  • If you are working as a student at the CRA during your final term of study, you can stay employed as a student only until you receive your degree/diploma or until the date you meet your graduation requirements as confirmed by the educational institution.
  • If you are enrolled in school on a part-time basis because of a disability, as recognized by the school, you can also work as a student at the CRA.

For more information, see Students and graduate hiring and Terms and Conditions of Employment for Students.

Requirements for Indigenous students

To be eligible to apply to the Indigenous Student Employment Program, you must:

  • be enrolled in a recognized academic institution as a full-time secondary or post-secondary student, or enrolled on a part-time basis at an academic institution due to disability.
  • meet the minimum age requirement in the province of work.
  • be a North American Indian or a member of a First Nation, a Métis, or an Inuit. North American Indians or members of a First Nation include status, treaty, or registered Indians, as well as non-status and non-registered Indians.

You can apply through the Careers at the CRA pages, or through the Federal Student Work Experience Program. Just make sure you self-identify as an Indigenous person in order to be considered for this program.

Requirements for veterans

As an eligible veteran or member of the Canadian Armed Forces, in order to apply, you must:

  • send in a completed application by the deadline on the notice of job opportunity outlining how you meet the job requirements; and
  • include documents confirming your eligibility (such as your Member’s Personnel Record Résumé or other official document).

For more information, see Welcome veterans and Canadian Armed Forces members.

Page details

Date modified: