Update your marital status with the Canada Revenue Agency

How to update your marital status

Let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know in one of these ways:

  • log in to MyBenefits CRA or MyCRA on our mobile apps page
    • select “Manage profile details” or "Personal information" then “Marital status”
  • log in to My Account
    • select “Personal information” then “Change my marital status”
  • call the CRA at 1-800-387-1193
  • fill out Form RC65, Marital Status Change, and send it to the CRA


If you get working income tax benefit advance payments, send a new working income tax benefit advance payments application to the CRA. If you do not send a new application, your advance payments will stop until the CRA receives it. The application deadline date is August 31 every year.

When to update your marital status

Update your marital status as soon as it changes, even if you are living common‑law.


If you separate because of a breakdown in your relationship, wait 90 days from the date you started living separate and apart to update your marital status. This makes sure you get the right benefit payment amounts (see the following example).


If you separate from your spouse or common-law partner on June 20, tell the CRA about the change after September 18 in My Account.

What is living common-law?

You are living common-law when you live in a marriage-like relationship with another person, but you are not legally married to that person. Your common-law relationship has started when one of the following situations happens:

  • you and your common-law partner have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months in a row (including any time you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in the relationship)
  • you have a child with your common-law partner naturally or through adoption, no matter how long you have been living together
  • your common-law partner has custody and control of your child (or had custody and control immediately before your child turned 19 years of age) and your child completely depends on your partner for support


Living common-law also applies to same-sex partners who meet the above conditions, and they will have the same tax rights and responsibilities.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: