What to report and exceptions

Types of income to report on a T4A slip

Fill out a T4A slip if you are a payer, such as an employer, a trustee, an estate executor (or liquidator), an administrator, or a corporate director, and you pay any of the following types of income:

  • pension or superannuation
  • lump-sum payments
  • self-employed commissions
  • annuities
  • patronage allocations
  • registered education savings plan (RESP) accumulated income payments
  • RESP educational assistance payments
  • fees or other amounts for services
  • income replacement payments made under the Veterans Well-being Act
  • other income such as research grants, payments from a registered disability savings plan (RDSP); wage-loss replacement plan payments if you were not required to withhold Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions and employment insurance (EI) premiums, death benefits, or certain benefits paid to partnerships or shareholders


Use a T4 slip to report retiring allowances. For more information on retiring allowances, see RC4120, Employers' Guide  Filing the T4 Slip and Summary.

You have to fill out the T4A slip, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity and Other Income, if you made any of the payments listed above and one of the following applies:

  • the total of all payments in the calendar year was more than $500
  • you deducted tax from any payment

You have to prepare a T4A slip for a subscriber if any RESP accumulated income payments totalling $50 or more are made in the calendar year. Also, you have to prepare a T4A slip for a beneficiary if any RESP educational assistance payments totalling $50 or more are made in the calendar year.

If you provided group term life insurance taxable benefits for former employee or retiree, you must report the benefit on a T4A slip using code 119. Beginning in 2018, employers who pay Group Term Life Insurance premiums on behalf of retirees, when it’s the
only income reported on the T4A slip, are only required to report the premium if the amount is greater than $50. The $500 reporting threshold for T4A slips does not apply.

If you are the administrator or trustee of a multi-employer plan and you provided a taxable benefit under the plan to employee, former employee, or retiree, report the benefit on a T4A slip using code 119, if it is more than $25.


A multi-employer plan is a pension plan where no more than 95% of the active members work for one employer or group of related employers in a year.

You have to prepare a T4A slip for tax-free savings account (TFSA) taxable amounts paid to a recipient when the total amount for the year is more than $50.

For a complete list of the types of other types of income for which a T4A slip is required, go to Other information.


The term recipient refers to the beneficiary of a payment and includes employees, former employees, retired persons, and shareholders.

Types of income not to report on a T4A slip

The following types of income are not reported on a T4A slip:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: