Hazardous weather: Important notices on flooding

On this page

The Government of Canada is committed to helping Canadians affected by flooding and wildfires across the country.

Keep up to date about the Government of Canada’s response to flooding in British Columbia

Consult Flood Ready and Get Prepared in case of wildfires for more information.

Apply for Employment Insurance

Affected workers are encouraged to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits online, as soon as possible, even without a Record of Employment.

You need your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply for EI benefits. If you don’t know your SIN or do not have a SIN, you can apply for a SIN or find your SIN number by following the steps outlined.

To process your application, Service Canada needs a mailing address and a residential address for you.

  • Provide a mailing address where you can receive mail (note: you can update this address later). For example:
    • friend
    • family
    • temporary shelter
  • Provide your usual residential address (even if you are temporarily living somewhere else due to the flooding or wildfires)

Important: To receive your EI benefits, you must complete and file your claimant reports online or by phone every 2 weeks.

To receive your payments without any postal delay due to flooding or wildfires, we encourage Canadians to register with direct deposit. Not only will you be able to access your payments more quickly, they will never be lost, stolen or damaged.

You can easily sign up for direct deposit online by sending an eServiceCanada request. A representative will contact you by telephone within 2 business days. For information or if you need to speak to an officer to complete your application, please contact the EI call centre at 1-800-206-7218.

For more information, please contact us.

Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security

The delivery of physical pension cheques by mail may be impacted by flooding or wildfires in areas across Canada. To ensure timely delivery of benefits, those who have not signed up yet are encouraged to sign up for direct deposit. Those affected by hazardous weather can change their address to ensure they receive their cheques. To sign up or to make a change, Canadians can send an eServiceCanada request. A representative will contact them by telephone within 2 business days. They can also call 1-800-277-9914.

Those who still receive paper cheques are encouraged to visit Canada Post for updates and alternate delivery arrangements or pick-up locations.

For more information, please contact us.

Apply for repayment assistance for your Canada Student or Apprentice Loan

If you are a student loan or apprentice loan borrower affected by flooding in British Columbia and need help making your payments, you can fast track your repayment assistance application.

Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre or the Canada Apprentice Loan Service Centre for more details.

Money from government, the Red Cross and other relief allocations

You are not required to declare money you receive from government, the Red Cross, an insurance company or a charitable organization in your report cards. Emergency relief funds are not considered income for the purpose of Employment Insurance. All other amounts must be declared.

For more information, please contact us.

Contact us

If a client requires further support and assistance to access service, help is available through an eServiceCanada request. This is available online and on mobile phones.

If clients do not have access to the internet or face other barriers, they can call the Service Canada Outreach Support Centre toll-free at 1-877-355-2657 to receive assistance from a Service Canada representative.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: