Special or diplomatic passport (adult): How to apply for an official passport
1. Get your documents ready
You need to include these documents with your application:
- the original copy of your proof of citizenship
- 1 identity document
- You can use a copy as long as your guarantor’s signature and the date are on both sides of the copy to indicate they’ve seen the originals.
- 2 identical passport photos
- On the back of 1 photo:
- there must be a signature from the guarantor, and
- the photographer must write
- the photographer’s name, address and postal code
- the date the photo was taken
- On the back of 1 photo:
- a copy of one of the following documents:
- the signed travel authority and advance form
- the posting confirmation form
- a signed letter from your department
- a detailed flight itinerary, if available
- additional forms you need to apply for a visa for the country you’re travelling to (if applicable)
- If you need a foreign visa
- complete the Visa Facilitation Form (PPTC 639) (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- add 3 to 45 business days (depending on the country) to the 15 business days it takes for us to process your passport application
- Each country sets its own visa requirements and processing times.
- We have no influence over the time it takes a foreign mission to issue a visa.
If you’re an employee of Global Affairs Canada, submit an Agreement regarding continued custody of diplomatic passport – PPTC 446 (PDF, 1.07 MB).
You may need extra documents if
- you’re from National Defence or the Canadian Armed Forces
- you’re being posted abroad
- you’re replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport
- you’re changing the gender identifier on your passport
- you changed your name
2. Fill out the application form
- Sign each page
- Include the guarantor’s information
- Make sure your guarantor signs
- the application form
- the back of 1 of the photos
3. Find out if you need a visa
If you’re travelling to a country that requires a visa, add 3 to 45 business days (depending on the country) to the 15 business days it takes for us to process your passport application. Each country sets its own visa requirements and processing times. We have no influence over the time it takes a foreign mission to issue a visa.
4. Pay the fees
Special or diplomatic passport: $225
Visa: $90 per visa (if required).
For Departments and Agencies: Complete and include the Passport Information Billing form (PPTC 467) (PDF, 64KB).
For Crown Corporations: Complete and include the Credit Card Payment Authorization form (PPTC 084) (PDF, 98KB).
5. Submit your application
Submit a complete application to avoid delays
Before you submit your application, check that it’s complete. If your application is incomplete, we return it to you without processing it. This may cause travel delays.
By mail, by courier or by messenger
Use a certified courier or traceable mail service to reduce the delivery time of your application and help protect your documents.
Address for applicants from National Defence
DND/Official Travel section (passports)
101 Colonel By Drive
Address for all other applicants
PO BOX 8790 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5K8
Place du Centre
200 promenade du Portage, Commercial Level 2
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: