Special or diplomatic passport (adult): How to apply for an official passport if you have a regular (blue) passport
1. Get your documents ready
You need to include these documents with your application if you have a regular (blue) passport:
- 2 identical passport photos.
- You don’t need a guarantor.
- On the back of one photo, the photographer must indicate:
- the photographer’s name, address, and postal code
- the date the photo was taken
- Detailed flight itinerary, if available.
- Any additional forms you need to apply for a visa for the country you’re travelling to (if applicable).
- If you need a foreign visa:
- Add 3 to 45 business days to the 15 business days (depending on the country) it takes for us to process your passport application. Each country sets its own visa requirements and processing times. We have no influence over the time it takes a foreign mission to issue a visa.
- Complete the Visa Facilitation form (PPTC 639) (PDF, 1.6MB).
- If you need a foreign visa:
- One of the following:
- a copy of the signed Travel Authority and Advance form
- the Posting Confirmation Form (PCF)
- a signed letter from your department, or the forms created for clients from National Defence.
- You may need extra documents if:
2. Find out if you need a visa
If you’re travelling to a country that requires a visa, add 3 to 45 business days to the 15 business days it takes for us to process your passport application. Each country sets its own visa requirements and processing times. We have no influence over the time it takes a foreign mission to issue a visa.
3. Complete the application form
If your application is incomplete, we’ll return it to you without processing it. This may cause travel delays.
4. Pay the fees
Special or diplomatic passport: $225
Visa: $90 per visa (if required)
If you’re applying to travel on official government business or you’re representing the Government of Canada abroad for
- a federal department or agency, complete and include the
- a Crown corporation or you’re paying with a credit card other than a departmental credit card, complete and include the
- the Department of National Defence (DND) and you’re not being posted somewhere, complete and include the
- the Department of National Defence (DND) and you’re being posted somewhere, complete and include the
If none of the above apply to you, you do not need to complete a billing form. Just submit your application. We’ll let you know if we need anything else from you.
5. Submit your application
You can apply by mail, in-person walk-in or contact us for an in-person appointment.
By mail, by courier or by messenger
Use a certified courier or traceable mail service to reduce the delivery time of your application and help protect your documents.
Address for applicants from National Defence
DND/Official Travel section (passports)
101 Colonel By Drive
Address for all other applicants
PO BOX 8790 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5K8
Place du Centre
200 promenade du Portage, Commercial Level 2
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- Date modified: