Special or diplomatic passport (adult): How to renew your official passport
You can renew your special or diplomatic passport if the passport:
- has the same name, place of birth, date of birth and gender identifier you want on your new passport
- was issued when you were at least 16 years old using an adult passport application form
- was issued with a validity period of 5 years or less than 5 years for reasons unrelated to integrity concerns
- isn’t damaged
- has never been reported lost or stolen
- is still valid or expired less than 1 year ago
If you’re eligible, follow these steps to renew your official passport.
1. Get your documents ready
You need to include these documents with your application:
- Your previous special or diplomatic passport, if you have it
- 2 identical passport photos.
- You don’t need a guarantor
- On the back of 1 photo, the photographer must write:
- the photographer’s name, address, and postal code
- the date the photo was taken
- Detailed flight itinerary, if available.
- Additional forms you need to apply for a visa for the country you’re travelling to (if applicable).
- If you need a foreign visa:
- Add 3 to 45 business days (depending on the country) to the 15 business days it takes for us to process your passport application. Each country sets its own visa requirements and processing times. We have no influence over the time it takes a foreign mission to issue a visa.
- Complete the Visa Facilitation form (PPTC 639) (PDF, 1.6MB).
- If you need a foreign visa:
- One of the following:
- a copy of the signed Travel Authority and Advance form
- the Posting Confirmation Form (PCF)
- a signed letter from your department, or the forms created for clients from National Defence.
You may need extra documents if:
- you’re from National Defence or the Canadian Armed Forces
- you’re being posted abroad
- you’re replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport
- you’re changing the gender identifier on your passport
- you changed your name.
2. Find out if you need a visa
If you’re travelling to a country that requires a visa, add 3 to 45 business days (depending on the country) to the 15 business days it takes for us to process your passport application. Each country sets its own visa requirements and processing times. We have no influence over the time it takes a foreign mission to issue a visa.
3. Fill out the application form
4. Pay the fees
Special or diplomatic passport: $225
Visa: $90 per visa (if required).
For Departments and Agencies: Complete and include the Passport Information Billing form (PPTC 467) (PDF, 64KB).
For Crown Corporations: Complete and include the Credit Card Payment Authorization form (PPTC 084) (PDF, 98KB).
5. Submit your application
Submit a complete application to avoid delays
Before you submit your application, check that it’s complete. If your application is incomplete, we return it to you without processing it. This may cause travel delays.
By mail, by courier or by messenger
Use a certified courier or traceable mail service to reduce the delivery time of your application and help protect your documents.
Address for applicants from National Defence
DND/Official Travel section (passports)
101 Colonel By Drive
Address for all other applicants
PO BOX 8790 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5K8
Place du Centre
200 promenade du Portage, Commercial Level 2
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: