Hire a temporary worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program

COVID-19: new option for hiring a temporary worker already in Canada

A worker already in Canada with an employer-specific work permit may be able to start working for you right away if you have a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment.

Find out more about workers in Canada who want to change employers.

Most employers need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before they can hire a temporary worker. Before you start the hiring process, you must determine if you need an LMIA. If you do need an LMIA, you must hire the temporary worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

The TFWP lets employers hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you are offering and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.

Once a positive LMIA has been issued, you should provide a copy of the confirmation letter to each temporary worker and advise each of them to apply for a work permit.

You can find more information about LMIAs, application forms and employers’ responsibilities on Employment and Social Development Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program web page.

Hiring in the province of Quebec

If you are an employer from Quebec, your job candidate may also need to get a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Quebec government before a work permit can be issued. For information about the CAQ, see the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (Quebec’s immigration department) website.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: