A city in Austria beside the water

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

A person snowboards on snow covered hills in Austria

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Austria through a bilateral Youth Mobility program, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-30 years old (inclusive) for the Working Holiday Programme, or
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive) for the Intra- and Partner-Company Training Program or the Young Workers Exchange Program, and
  • have a Canadian passport that’s valid for at least 3 months more than the length of your stay
    • for example, if you’re staying in Austria for 6 months, your passport must be valid for at least 9 months

Other requirements may apply. Check Austria’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

If you’re staying:

  • between three to six months, you need to apply for an entry permit (Visa D)
  • more than six months, you need to apply for a residence permit

Eligible applicants can apply for one of three Youth Mobility programs:

Intra- and Partner-Company Training Program

Young professionals employed in Canada who want to travel to receive or provide training from a partner company in Austria.

Young Workers Exchange Program

Post-secondary graduates who want professional training in tourism, agriculture or forestry. Participants must have a degree or diploma in at least one of the three fields.

Working Holiday Programme

Canadian youth looking to travel to Austria and work temporarily to fund your trip.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to the:

  • Intra- and Partner-Company Training Program
  • Young Workers Exchange Program

No, you don’t need one if you apply to the Working Holiday Programme.

How long can I stay and work?

If you are taking part in the:

  • Intra-and Partner Company Training Program, you can stay up to 12 months
  • Young Workers Exchange Program, you can stay up to 6 months
  • Working Holiday Programme, you can stay up to 12 months with an entry permit (Visa D).
A busy street at night in Austria

Start your

About Austria

While most of Austria is mountainous, the landscape offers a lot of variety with snowy peaks, glaciers, many lakes and rivers, wide basins, vineyards and green hills and plains. Because of this, Austrians, like Canadians, embrace an outdoor lifestyle that includes hiking, mountain climbing and water sports and, of course, some of the best skiing in the world.

Austria is rich with tradition and culture. It’s common for many Austrians to wear traditional dress, such as a Dirndl (dress with apron) or Lederhosen (short leather pants), when the occasion is right. Food is a big part of Austrian culture. If you’re a fan of desserts, make sure to try a piece of Sachertorte or Apfelstrudel. Austria’s history in music is as impressive as any. Names like Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert are just a few famous composers connected to Austrian music.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Page details

Date modified: