Scenic summer view of the Old Port pier architecture with ships, yachts and other boats in the Old Town of Helsinki, Finland

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

Crowded Aleksi street in Helsinki, Finland

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Finland through the Youth Mobility Agreement, you must

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18 to 35 years old (inclusive)
  • have a Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply. Check Finland’s Embassy in Canada website or the Finnish Immigration Service website for details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a residence permit. This permit has 3 categories:

Residence Permit for Working Holiday

For young Canadians who want to travel to Finland and work temporarily to help finance their trip, known as a working holiday

Young Professional: Specialist Residence Permit

For young Canadians who want to complete a work placement in Finland as part of their studies or training

International Co-op: Residence Permit for Internship

For registered post-secondary students who want to complete a work placement in their field of studies in Finland as a requirement of their academic curriculum

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to

  • Young Professional: Specialist Residence Permit
  • International Co-op: Residence Permit for Internship

No, you don’t need one if you apply to

  • Residence Permit for Working Holiday

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Finland for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Finland’s youth mobility program once under each category.

Woman looking at lake in Finland at sunset

Start your

About Finland

Finland is a Nordic country in Northern Europe that covers 338,145 square kilometres and has a population of 5.6 million people. Its mix of comfortable small towns and exciting cities allows you to experience a variety of atmospheres and activities. Finland also has vast areas of nature, including about 188,000 lakes to explore. In the northernmost part of the country, the northern lights can be seen in the winter and the midnight sun in the summer. If you love Christmas, you might want to visit the region of Lapland, which caters to Santa fans. In fact, the Finns claim that the mythical mountain of Korvatunturi in Lapland is Santa Claus’ home.

Economy and jobs

Finland is competitive in manufacturing, which includes industries such as wood, metals, engineering, telecommunications and electronics. Finland also promotes start-ups in these sectors: information and communications technology, gaming, clean technology, and biotechnology.

Culture and language

Soothe your body and immerse yourself in Finnish culture by trying a Finnish sauna. The sauna is an important part of Finnish culture and was also added to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s intangible cultural heritage list.

Finland is officially bilingual in Finnish and Swedish. Though Finnish is the common language in the country, over 70% of Finns speak English.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Page details

Date modified: