An aerial view of a city in Spain near a body of water

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

Spanish food arranged in bowls on a table

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Spain through one of the Canada-Spain Youth Mobility programs, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive)
  • live in Canada when applying, and
  • have a Canadian passport that’s valid for at least 12 months before you enter Spain

Other requirements may apply. Check Spain’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Youth Mobility visa. This visa has five categories:

Category a

Post-secondary graduates who want to get additional training in Spain through a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer).

Category b

Registered post-secondary students who want to complete part of their academic training in a Spanish institution, including under inter-institution agreements.

Category c

Young professionals who want additional training in order to contribute to their professional development.

Category d

Registered post-secondary students who want to work temporarily at a summer job in Spain.

Category e (Working Holiday)

Young Canadians who want to travel to Spain work temporarily to help fund their trip or to do volunteer work.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to:

  • Category a,
  • Category b, or
  • Category c

No, you don’t need one if you apply to:

  • Category d, or
  • Category e

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Spain for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Spain’s Youth Mobility Program two times. Your second participation must be in a different category and there must be a break of at least three months between the two participations

Five friends overlook a city in Spain while sitting together

Start your

About Spain

Spain is the gateway to the Mediterranean Sea and is a country of great geographical wealth. You can explore the sea, mountains, big cities, or charming villages. It is the European Union's most biodiverse country, with 45 biosphere reserves recognized by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

Due to a blend of different civilizations over centuries, Spain has a unique cultural heritage, which is reflected in its food, paintings, sculptures, architecture, literature and music.

Whether you are at an outdoor café, concert, flamenco tablao, dinner party or discoteca, nightlife in Spain is unparalleled.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Page details

Date modified: