A statue in front of a historical building in Luxembourg

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

A young person walks over a bridge in Luxembourg

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Luxembourg, under the Luxembourg Working Holiday program, you must

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18 to 30 years old (inclusive)
  • have a Canadian passport that’s valid for at least 15 months from when you get your visa

Other requirements may apply. Visit the Luxembourg Working Holiday website for more information.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a long-stay D visa.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

No, you don’t need a formal job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or formal internship offer to apply for the long-stay D visa.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Luxembourg for up to 12 months. You can participate in Luxembourg’s Working Holiday program once.

A city in Luxembourg lit up at night

Start your

About Luxembourg

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is an open, tolerant and economically stable country located in the heart of Europe, bordered by Germany, France and Belgium. It values cross-border cooperation, and this is reflected in its 3 official languages: French, German and Luxembourgish. In addition to its official languages, almost the entire population speaks English.

In the spirit of innovation, Luxembourg has undergone an economic diversification in recent years, with a focus on information, space, environmental and health technologies. It remains a leader in financial services, while also establishing itself as a leader in green finance.

Luxembourg offers captivating landscapes, coupled with a rich cultural, historical and architectural heritage. Green valleys, dotted with rock formations, extend across 112 km of hiking trails through breathtaking fields and forests.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Page details

Date modified: