Snow-capped mountains behind a turquoise blue lake and winding road in Chile

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

An aerial view of a Chile city near the ocean

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Chile through the Memorandum of Understanding on Youth Mobility, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive), and
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply. Check Chile’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Residente Temporario, Movilidad de Jovenes Visa (Temporary Resident Youth Mobility Visa). This visa has four categories:

Category 1

Post-secondary graduates who want additional training to increase their knowledge of another country’s languages, society and culture.

Category 2

Registered post-secondary students who want to complete part of their academic curriculum at an institution in Chile as part of an inter-institutional work-study agreement.

Category 3

Young Canadians who want to complete a work placement in another country as part of their studies or training.

Category 4 (Working Holiday)

Young Canadians who want to travel to Chile and work temporarily to help finance their trip. This is known as a Working Holiday.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to:

  • Category 1
  • Category 3

No, you don’t need one if you apply to:

  • Category 2
  • Category 4

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Chile for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Chile’s Youth Mobility Program once.

Three friends laughing on a beach in Chile

Start your

About Chile

With over 4,000 kilometers of coastline and a diverse climate and landscape, Chile offers you an endless amount of activities. Enjoy scuba diving, surfing, skiing in the mountains, or sandboarding in the dunes. Hike the world famous Torres del Paine National Park or tour the Atacama Desert, Patagonia or Easter Island.

Chile is an attractive destination for young travellers. Every year, Chile welcomes over 26,000 international students and has some of the best educational institutions in Latin America.

Chile offers great nightlife entertainment, amazing outdoor activities, a wealth of history, fine foods, wine tours and so much more.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Page details

Date modified: