Work and travel in Japan: International Experience Canada

Global travel advisory

For all essential travel, check travel advisories and requirements before you leave Canada.

Follow all additional local public health measures while travelling.

Stay informed when you return to Canada.

Fun facts about Japan

  • Express trains in Japan travel at top speeds of 250 to 300 kilometers per hour.
  • The world’s largest fish market is the Tsukiji market in Tokyo.
  • Japan produces 60 percent of the world’s animated TV shows.

What Japan offers

Japan is one of the most developed and modern countries in the world. It has cutting-edge technology such as bullet trains, yet is steeped in century-old traditions that still hold significant value.

Japan features mountainous terrain with dense forests, criss-crossed short rivers, and natural hots springs. The country enjoys four distinct seasons that provide seasonal delights like cherry blossoms in the autumn.

Stay at a traditional Japanese inn, called a ryokan, and experience warm hospitality and a glimpse into Japanese customs. Try a variety of Japanese food, including popular modern food such as ramen, Japanese-style curry and okonomiyaki, or enjoy Japan’s traditional cuisine, such as sushi and soba noodles.

Who can apply?

To work in Japan through the Working Holiday Program, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-30 years old (inclusive)
  • live in Canada when you apply, and
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply. Check Japan’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Working Holiday visa.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

No, you do not need a formal job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment), or a formal internship offer.

Working Holiday participants cannot work at places that might affect public moral such as bars, cabarets, and nightclubs.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Japan for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Japan’s Working Holiday program once.

How do I apply?

You can apply in person through the Consulates General of Japan, or at the Japanese Embassy in Canada in Ottawa.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations (ROs) might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most ROs charge a fee for their services.

More resources

JET Program

The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program is a Japanese government-sponsored program. It offers university graduates full-time job opportunities as assistant language teachers or as coordinators of international relations.

Each year, more than 200 Canadians participate. Applications open in the fall for departure the following summer. You must be a Canadian citizen and have a bachelor’s degree in any field before you leave for Japan.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: