A colourful city in Sweden near the water

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

A person beside a tent in the mountains in Sweden at night

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Sweden through the Canada-Sweden Youth Exchange Program (Working Holiday visa program), you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-30 years old (inclusive), and
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply, check Sweden’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Work and Residence Permit (also known as a Working Holiday Visa). This visa has five categories:

Category a

Post-secondary graduates who want additional training under a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer) to support their career development.

Category b

Registered post-secondary students who want to complete part of their academic curriculum at an institution in Sweden through a pre-arranged internship or work placement, including in the context of an agreement between post-secondary institutions.

Category c

Young Canadians who want additional training under a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer) to support their career development.

Category d

Registered post-secondary students who want to travel and work temporarily in Sweden during their academic vacation.

Category e (Working Holiday)

Young Canadians who want to travel to Sweden and work temporarily to help finance their trip.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to:

  • Category a
  • Category b
  • Category c

No, you don’t need one if you apply to:

  • Category d
  • Category e

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Sweden for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Sweden’s Canada-Sweden Youth Exchange Program (Working Holiday visa program) twice. The second participation must be in a different category.

A busy city street in Sweden

Start your

About Sweden

Swedes like to spend time in nature and “Allemansratten” makes it possible. Allemansratten is the right of public access which allows anyone to roam around freely in nature, to camp overnight and to pick berries, mushrooms and flowers.

Sweden’s 29 national parks and nearly 4,000 nature reserves offer opportunities to ski, hike, fish, swim and mountain bike. There are also countless opportunities to get involved in Sweden’s cultural life through concerts, plays and exhibitions held year-round.

Swedish is the official language of Sweden, however, a vast majority of Swedes also speak English. Sweden has a strong economy and many Swedish multinational organizations speak English as their corporate language.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: