An aerial view of a city skyline in Estonia at night.

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

An aerial view of a city in Estonia.

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Estonia through the Youth Mobility Agreement, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive)
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply. Check Estonia's website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Long-Stay Type D Visa. This visa has three categories:

Category a

Young Canadians, including post-secondary graduates who want to get additional training in Estonia through a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer) in support of their career development.

Category b

Registered post-secondary students who want to complete part of their academic curriculum in Estonia through a pre-arranged contract of employment or internship offer. This can include arranged agreements between post-secondary institutions.

Category c (Working Holiday)

Young Canadians who want to travel to Estonia and work temporarily to help fund their trip.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to:

  • Category a,
  • Category b

No, you don’t need one if you apply to category c.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Estonia for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Estonia’s Working Holiday Agreement twice. Your second participation must be in a different category.

A person looking up at a building in Estonia.

Start your

About Estonia

Estonia, located in Northern Europe is a small country full of Scandinavian peat-bogs, Siberian-like forests, a coastline rich with limestone, and over 1,500 islands of beautiful sandy beaches. Its climate is temperate and mild due to its location close to the Baltic Sea.

Hike through Estonia’s majestic pine forests and ancient bogs. Stay up late to celebrate the summer solstice with friends barbecuing in the garden or at village parties featuring bands playing around massive bonfires. Walk along the winding cobblestone streets of Tallinn’s Old Town; a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization world heritage site, and one of the best preserved medieval cities in Northern Europe. It boasts Gothic spires and captivating architecture but also luxurious hotels, trendy neighbourhoods and large shopping centres.

The national language is Estonian but most Estonians can speak more than one language. English is widely spoken, especially among the younger population.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Page details

Date modified: