Work and travel in Belgium: International Experience Canada

Fun facts about Belgium

  • Belgium’s highway can be seen from space.
  • Belgium is known for its beer, chocolate, waffles, speculoos, French fries, and cheese.
  • Belgian French fries are a national treasure and how they are cooked is a closely guarded secret.
  • You can find over 300 varieties of cheese in Belgium.

What Belgium offers

Belgium has a wide range of forest walking trails and footpaths to keep you busy. Explore the North Sea coast, go cycling or horseback riding in the country or visit a number of theme parks, castles and estates.

A federal state made up of Flemish, French and German speaking communities, this unique blend of people and multiculturalism contributes to Belgium being a pioneer in political, social and religious rights.

Belgium is a leader in scientific research in fields such as nanotechnology, biotechnology and vaccination research. Belgians are also heavily involved in research on space exploration and the environment.

Who can apply?

To work in Belgium through the Working Holiday Program, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-30 years old (inclusive)
  • live in Canada when applying, and
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply. Check Belgium’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a long stay visa (D-visa).

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

No, you do not need a formal job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Belgium for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Belgium’s Working Holiday Program once.

How do I apply?

You can apply by mail to Belgium’s Consulate General in Montreal.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations (ROs) might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most ROs charge a fee for their services.

More resources

Need more help planning? Contact a recognized organization.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: