Work and travel in the Czech Republic: International Experience Canada

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

An official global travel advisory is in effect: Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice.

Check the Pandemic COVID-19 travel health notice.

Check our Travel Advice and Advisories for more information.

If you need financial help to return to Canada, check COVID-19: Financial help for Canadians outside Canada.

Fun facts about the Czech Republic

  • The Guinness World Records lists Prague castle as the largest ancient castle in the world
  • The sugar cube was invented in the Czech Republic in 1843
  • Hockey is the most popular sport in the Czech Republic

What the Czech Republic offers

Located in Central Europe, the Czech Republic features 12 United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization world heritage sites and is known for its elaborate castles, native beers and rich history.  The capital city of Prague is home to the 9th-century Prague Castle and the historic Charles Bridge.

Learn about the history of Central Europe by exploring museums and historical castles, chateaus and old towns. Enjoy the nightlife of Prague in one of its many nightclubs. Visit famous spas in Karlovy Vary and Františkovy Lázně or enjoy boat trips along the Vltava River. Hockey fans will find a lot in common with many Czech’s as ice hockey is the most popular sport in the Czech Republic.

Who can apply?

To work in the Czech Republic through the Youth Mobility Visa program, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive)
  • live in Canada when you apply, and
  • have a Canadian passport that’s valid for at least 3 months more than the length of your stay
    • for example, if you’re staying in the Czech Republic for 6 months, your passport must be valid for at least 9 months

Other requirements may apply. Check the Czech Republic’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Youth Mobility Visa. This visa has 3 categories.

Category a
Young Canadians, including post-secondary graduates who want to get additional training in the Czech Republic through a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer).
Category b
Registered post-secondary students who want to complete part of their academic curriculum in the Czech Republic through a pre-arranged contract of employment or internship offer. This can include arranged agreements between post-secondary institutions.
Category c (Working Holiday)
Young Canadians who want to travel to the Czech Republic and work temporarily to help fund their trip.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to:

  • Category a,
  • Category b

No, you don’t need one if you apply to category c.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in the Czech Republic for up to 12 months.

You can participate in the Czech Republic’s Youth Mobility program two times. Your second participation must be in a different category and there must be break between the two participations.

How do I apply?

You can apply in person to the Embassy of the Czech Republic in Ottawa. You may also send your application by registered mail with a written letter explaining why you are requesting the process by mail.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations (ROs) might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most ROs charge a fee for their services.

More resources

Need more help planning? Contact a recognized organization.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: