Snow-capped mountains behind a crystal clear lake in New Zealand

Work and travel in
New Zealand

Choose another destination

Snow-capped mountains behind a turquoise blue lake and winding road in New Zealand

How to

Who can apply?

To work in New Zealand through the Canada Working Holiday Visa you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive), and
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply, check New Zealand’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Canada Working Holiday visa.

You can apply for a 12 or 23 month visa.

While in New Zealand on the Working Holiday Visa, you can also study or train for up to six months in total.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

No, you do not need a formal job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer.

You cannot accept a permanent job.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in New Zealand for up to 23 months.

You can participate in New Zealand’s Working Holiday program once.

A person walking on a boardwalk winding through a field in New Zealand

Start your

About New Zealand

What New Zealand offers

New Zealand is home to some of the world’s most beautiful landscapes, including spectacular glaciers, rugged mountains, glittering waterfalls, beautiful subtropical forests and miles of coastline with gorgeous sandy beaches. New Zealand offers several United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage sites to visit.

If you’re into the outdoors, go cycling on the New Zealand Cycle Trail where you can cross into national parks and enjoy the constantly changing scenery. If you prefer being in the water, go surfing on the beautiful beaches or snorkel along the reef.

New Zealand is a culturally diverse nation with a strong indigenous Maori presence and the people are known to be down to earth, friendly and welcoming. English, Maori and New Zealand sign language are the official languages.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized Organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Read the guide

New Zealand’s working holiday guide

This guide provides tips and resources on working in New Zealand.

Page details

Date modified: