Snow-capped mountains behind a village in Switzerland

Work and travel in

Choose another destination

Two bikers on a mountain trail in Switzerland

How to

Who can apply?

To work in Switzerland through the Youth Mobility program, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive),
  • have a permanent address in Canada when applying, and
  • have a valid Canadian passport

Other requirements may apply, check Switzerland’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Youth Mobility Program work permit.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer) or a formal internship offer if you apply for a work permit. Your work must be related to your field of studies or you must have had previous training in the field.

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Switzerland for up to 12 months.

You can participate in the Switzerland Youth Mobility Program twice. The maximum duration of both participations must be less than 18 months.

Two friends overlooking a city in Switzerland

Start your

About Switzerland

Switzerland lies in the heart of Europe. Despite its rather small size of roughly 41,000 km2, it offers a broad array of stunning natural beauty, ranging from palm trees in the southern parts to eternal ice in the alpine zone.

Switzerland has four distinct language regions and is a true cultural melting pot, as the country shares its borders with three major European cultures, German-speaking Europe, France, and Italy.

The service sector industries are dominant in Switzerland’s economy with insurance, banking, trade and commerce, as well as tourism leading the way. Together, with the machinery, electronics, metals, chemical and pharmaceutical industries, Switzerland has been a world leading innovator for the past several years and benefits from outstanding educational institutions.

When in Switzerland, be sure to eat chocolate and cheese. You can work it off either by enjoying the network of 62,000 km of hiking paths, swimming in the Aare River around the capital of Bern or bungee jumping from the 220 meter Contra Dam, like James Bond.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Before you leave, remember to register as a Canadian abroad to receive notifications in case of an emergency while you are abroad or of a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Recognized organizations

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most recognized organizations charge a fee for their services.

Page details

Date modified: